Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been doing some reading lately about how MK4 (a version of vitamin K2) is thought to be necessary to make bone. This was in relation to osteoporosis but I can't imagine it wouldn't apply to a broken bone. It's not recommended to take K2 by itself but in conjunction with D & A. Below are some links to consider some nutritional supports.

Here are some nutritionally related things to consider:

https://nbihealth.com/mk7-hip-fractures/ (this is a supplement company link so take with a grain of salt)

http://debrasnaturalgourmet.com/bone-health-101-part-i/ (this is my local health food store)

https://chriskresser.com/my-healing-..._campaign=blog

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Maybe you can pull up a bar stool to the sink and do dishes? Or maybe just use paper plates for awhile. Are you able to order groceries online and have someone pick them up for you? Definitely take friends up on offers to help. Maybe ask DH which tasks are hardest for him to get done and then see if friends can fill some of those roles? Also, maybe pick up meals from somewhere like Costco (if you have one) to make life easier. Good luck, and I hope you heal quickly!

I really really get it. I'm sorry you are going through this. This is long, but hopefully something in it will be helpful to you or someone who is doing a search in the future. If not, like any advice, obviously feel free to ignore!

Two and a half years ago, I fell and broke my ankle in two places. Interestingly, broken ankles are considered 'broken legs' in doctor parlance and on websites. I didn't realize that for along time. Anyway, I was rushed to hospital and stayed there for a week in restricted position and before I left the hospital, had two surgeries (plus a third surgery two years later). I had a ton of plates and screws in my ankle (17 I think). I also broken my elbow so was in a wheel chair. After the wheel chair, I was in a walker (and then two canes) for a long time. I can't tell you how much it affected me, physically and emotionally. Even after I started walking again and people stopped asking me about my ankle, I felt like the "invisible disabled" for the longest time. I couldn't do things like I could before and yet, everyone treated me like I was normal or should be able to. It was disheartening. I still can't, but it's much much better.

My advice, which seems hackneyed, but is all true for me:

- get a lot of help - friends are great, but it's ok to pay for a ton of extra help, too - just know it's temporary and you deserve it. And if people ask to help, you can take it - I was too embarrassed to take most of it. But I have a friend now who has cancer and I was impressed that when I asked if I could help, she asked for gift certificates for eat out delivery service meals right up front. I think that is great.

- I had several really obnoxious orthoped doctors - extremely rude and arrogant, but I stayed with them because they were good surgeons. I finally got a second opinion and third surgery and was happy I did and eventually changed orthopeds and surgeons. Even if you think someone is great at operating, get a second opinion if you feel they aren't giving you what you need. Mine gave me almost no time and didn't believe in things that I eventually believed in (didn't want to do orthoscopy in addition to surgery, didn't want to take out my hardware).

- when your cast is off and the Dr says you are ready, get as much PT as you can, even if you have to pay for it. I never really understood how important PT is and now am a huge believer. Do all the exercises, even if it's time consuming. The doctors didn't tell me (until after the fact each time) that the first three months after the cast off is critical; then the next three months, then the next three months, etc. This all being said - just recuperating and walking is PT in and of itself so if you fall behind on your PT, don't beat yourself up. You will do fine. Just start exercising at home again.

- This all being said... so many doctors and PT whom I met said that the most improvement would take place after one year and after that, little could be gained. I can't tell you the number of people whom I've met, along with myself, who have had another experience. I think my most visible improvement was actually the second year after the accident, long after doctors thought that I would have any big improvement. Interestingly, I have also seen this with other fields of medicine - a family member with a stroke who improved after the time period of one year.

- Also, PTs really do differ - I didn't get a choice initially so had many. Some of mine were amazing and some were frankly not very good and... not a waste of time, but maybe not worth the logistics and exhaustion to get to them. Try a few and find a PT whom you like and feels makes a difference in your rehabilitation. There are so many great ones out there.

- Also, depending upon your insurance and your PT availability in your area, PT takes a lot of time to set it up (I think mine took 6 weeks!) Since time is important, start that process early so you can jump to PT when you can. Similarly, my insurance didn't allow me to have more than 1 - 5 PT sessions approved in advance. Hopefully, yours is better (mine is better now thankfully) and does not nickel and dime PT sessions. If yours is not good either, keep on top of your PT (or PT office) to request approval in advance so that you don't have 'gaps' between your therapy while the PT is waiting for your insurance's approval. Also, they can expedite their requests if you ask them to.

- Keep careful track of all your bills. I could not believe how many I had and from different venues.

- I got some things that helped - can't remember their names now, but I bought through insurance one of those chairs that you put over the toilet to make it higher; I also bought a ledge for the bath to make it safer - taking a bath was hard!; and some other things that at the time felt critical and now are not memorable

- if you go to PT a lot (I went 3x a week), you may have withdrawal (emotionally) when you stop going and miss 'going' somewhere where you know everyone and where they are all experiencing the same things that you are. It actually hit me hard. Those other PT patients were my broken limb peeps!

- My doctor told me not to do many things (orthoscopy or getting my hardware out). He said that it was a waste of time. I almost didn't do it. But... my hardware was bothering me (felt it in the cold and wet) and I just figured I had zero to lose. Getting my hardware out was the best thing I ever did. First, it was a thousand times easier than my initial operations and recovery was easy - and second, I got back a lot of range of motion that doctors said I would never get back (and said that getting rid of the hardware wouldn't solve). My ankle will never be the same, and I still feel affected by it, but it's much much better than I thought possible.

- if your insurance isn't good, you can usually buy your products cheaper online or at specialty shops than in the Dr's office. My Dr sold $350 boots which I bought out of pocket (they had just taken my cast off and stitches out - I had no way of getting home) which I later found (exact boot and label) for $30 in the specialty shops and online and even in another doctor's office - quite a mark up . Same with shin supports.

- Some friends just won't get it. Don't take it personally. They are good people and love you - they just don't happen to understand this particular thing because they have never experienced it personally or with a loved one. Or they are just really crazy busy with their own lives and don't have much to give even though they would if they could. Other friends whom you don't know well will step up and you'll surprised. But I used to think it was a reflection of the 'goodness' of the individuals or how close we were. After my accident realized that it's just that some people 'get' how it's good to help/and how to help and some friends don't - it's not personal nor a reflection of how much they love you.

- my kids were angels when I landed in the hospital - it had been the first time either had been away from me - and once home, they were amazing at chores and helping out and not fighting. But. I wondered whether they were ok. It took months and now 2.5 years for me to learn just how much this affected them. Little pieces and stories still come out from time to time. Even if your kids seem great and fine, it's a lot for a kid to go through.

- On my first trip to the PT, I met an elderly woman who told me that she took a half a narcotic every day a half hour before PT and it helped with the pain of PT and allowed her to do more with her broken leg. PT was really painful, especially at the beginning. I don't know if that's condoned, but I was able to endure more, too, when I did it. I tried to decrease that half to less and less each time - and the type of narcotics they were giving me decreased at the same time (they go from really strong narcotics to less so quickly).

- I was very scared of leaving my wheel chair and walking initially. The doctor had me try a walker and I cried. I was very scared that I would fall. Same thing happened when the doctor had me use two canes and then upgraded me to one and then none. Each time, with variations, was hard. But that first time especially. If that happens to you, just know that it's scary, but once you do it, it's all ok and it will get easier.

- I did acupuncture for awhile - it was out of pocket, so I eventually decided to stop it to save money. But I do believe it helped a lot. I certainly felt better. The acupuncturist said he was working on healing of the scar on the top of the skin and internally, It's hard to know because I don't know that the alternative outcome would be. I also am a big believer in acupuncture for infertility (which I did toward the end of a slew of IVFs and medicated inseminations).

- I am extremely grateful for modern medicine now. I was before, but now it feels personal. There would have been other eras that broken legs would have not been repaired, especially ones that required surgery.

- Most of all, even though this feels like all encompassing, there *will* be a day that you don't think of your injury every second of the day. It may take a long long time, and for me it required a lot of patience and I am aware that my ankle isn't what it used to be. But the incident is mostly in the past now. But there will be at time that your broken leg is in the past.

Good luck!! I hope your recovery goes quickly and smoothly and that you are back up soon.
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 01-18-2018 at 04:19 AM.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow, Magnoliaparadise, thank you so much for your post. Do you mind if I PM you with some questions? Maybe not tonight (on a break at work right now) My DH broke his ankle in September, had surgery and poor wound healing and was just cleared back to the surgeon in January. They did a final xray and found out he had a new fracture in the ankle. Four different consults and we are now heading to the major teaching hospital for a 5th since he has medical conditions that increase his risk of a future amputation if this is not done correctly (and possibly even if it is)
    mom to Billy 12/07

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Wow, Magnoliaparadise, thank you so much for your post. Do you mind if I PM you with some questions? Maybe not tonight (on a break at work right now) My DH broke his ankle in September, had surgery and poor wound healing and was just cleared back to the surgeon in January. They did a final xray and found out he had a new fracture in the ankle. Four different consults and we are now heading to the major teaching hospital for a 5th since he has medical conditions that increase his risk of a future amputation if this is not done correctly (and possibly even if it is)
    Wow, that's a lot to go through and deal with. Great that you are getting additional consults. Absolutely PM me. I am happy to answer any questions from my experience, though don't feel like I know much so take anything I say with a grain of medical salt. I'm not sure that I get PMs because I haven't used the PM in a long time. If you try to PM and I don't answer, post here again and I will talk to the administrators to see if there is a problem on my side.
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 01-18-2018 at 04:20 AM.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadise View Post
    Wow, that's a lot to go through and deal with. Great that you are getting additional consults. Absolutely PM me. I am happy to answer any questions from my experience, though don't feel like I know much so take anything I say with a grain of medical salt. I'm not sure that I get PMs because I haven't used the PM in a long time. If you try to PM and I don't answer, post here again and I will talk to the administrators to see if there is a problem on my side.
    Just tried and it says you have exceeded your stored message capacity and need to clear out some messages.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Just tried and it says you have exceeded your stored message capacity and need to clear out some messages.
    Ugh, thanks. I will clean it out tomorrow.

This is so, so helpful! Thank you so much magnoliaparadise and others!
    I feel like the pain relief and healing process are going sooooo slow; time is just kind of dragging on. I have been getting some help, and this is the first night we don't have a meal that someone's brought us. I can't even imagine how hard it must have been for you to have broken both ankles and a wrist! That's horrible! I'm so sorry.

I feel best when I'm laying in bed and have my leg up on a bunch of pillows, but it's so unrealistic to be able to be like that all day. I did get help with my 2 year old from a relative today for a few hours, and will get more help tomorrow when the kids are home from school, and again the next day when DH will be gone the first half of the day. It's tricky because my parents are both gone and were both gone when this happened, so my mom would be helping a bit if she were home.

I appreciate all the tips about removing pins, PT, equipment I'll need to buy, etc. I'm afraid to look at the hospital bills, including the 911 call & ambulance ride since I was home alone when it happened.

If anyone has any tips on how to help more around the house while still maintaining my energy and not making my legs throb from being up, I'm all ears! Also how to give special time to the kids individually; I feel like they're getting left behind in all of this. I'm trying to come up with things I can do with them while I lay in bed; all I've come up with so far is a simple board game, talking about their day, reading a book together, playing cards, or watching a show/ movie.

Thanks so much!

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So sorry to hear this!

A few things that helped me when I had a bad spiral fracture of my tibia and was in a full leg cast (pre DH and pre DD):

* If you have tile/wood floors, get a desk chair on wheels. You can scoot around on it and it will help (a lot) in the kitchen. Having said that - for the first month ( ? ) you really should keep your leg elevated as much as possible, but at least you can do some simple things.

* Get a good cast cover if you don't have one. Makes showering much easier and you'll feel at least a little better. If you don't have a way to sit in the shower put a cheap folding chair in there.

* It sounds like you're sleeping ok - but if not, get sleeping pills for now. Your body is using extra energy to heal, and you need to sleep.

* Find a way to put your leg up wherever/however you can. An extra chair with bed pillows can help when you're tired of sitting in bed.

* Time with kids - is it possible to have them pick out a new game/puzzle/whatever on Amazon that's special to them? Can you sit at the kitchen table with your leg on another chair piled with pillows and let them do a craft activity? (Ditto Amazon for craft kits if needed.)

* I know I'm echoing prior posters, but if at ALL possible hire stuff out. Meal delivery. House cleaning, even if just someone to come in for an hour to do dishes/wipe counters/wipe bathrooms. If possible pay for longer and have them do laundry/change beds/etc. Local kid to run errands for you. DEFINITELY baby sitters - extra points if they'll take kids somewhere so you can sleep in peace.

Hope you're feeling better soon-

It will seem like forever/a ton of money, but you should feel much better in a couple weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2