Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Tamiflu for 6-7yo?

We all took tamiflu a few years ago (kids were 8, 5, and 1.5) when the 8 year old has the flu. No side effects. No one else got the flu. Her case was mild and she bounced back quickly. (But this was the last year the flu mist was given and only DD had it. The rest of us had the shot, and she hit the flu and no one else did.)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Absolutely no way. Elderberry is very effective as well as a Boiron oscillo. It’s toxic.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/01/12/u...fects-tamiflu/

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Nope. My dr isn’t a fan. Says the side effects aren’t worth the slight reduction in duration of illness. He was talking about me taking it, not the kids, but I’ll apply the same thinking to my kids who have no pre existing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When DS got confirmed Swine Flu at that age, we gave him Tamiflu for a number of reasons. No side effects.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yikes - it's really split down the middle. It's these parenting decisions I find difficult in wanting to do the best thing for DC. How to decide?

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Yikes - it's really split down the middle. It's these parenting decisions I find difficult in wanting to do the best thing for DC. How to decide?
    This is something I am also torn on. Luckily my DCs have never had the flu (knock on wood) so I haven’t had make that decision. I have heard very good stories about Tamiflu, but also some scary one. The was a recent case on our local news about a child that had pretty severe neurological side effects from Tamiflu.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    This is something I am also torn on. Luckily my DCs have never had the flu (knock on wood) so I haven’t had make that decision. I have heard very good stories about Tamiflu, but also some scary one. The was a recent case on our local news about a child that had pretty severe neurological side effects from Tamiflu.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I agree that it's a hard call. DC tends to get very high fevers when ill (almost 105) and has hallucinated from them before which was terrifying. So when I read a side effect of Tamiflu can be hallucinations, it makes me wonder if DC could be more susceptible to them.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

From what I understand, there's such a shortage of tamiflu (and your daughter gets the flu), you probably won't be able to find it anyway. I have posted about this already, but years ago, my dh and ds both had the flu. Tamiflu shortened their flu symptoms and allowed us to enjoy Disney!

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I agree that it's a hard call. DC tends to get very high fevers when ill (almost 105) and has hallucinated from them before which was terrifying. So when I read a side effect of Tamiflu can be hallucinations, it makes me wonder if DC could be more susceptible to them.
    This is why I'm not giving it to my DC who was exposed Monday. Recent fever hallucinations which were awful. No thanks.

Doing elderberry instead.
    K

Well, you could listen to the advice of your doctor, that’s what I have always done and it’s worked well.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast