Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If our pediatrician suggested we try it, I would. If we had bad side effects, I'd stop giving it. However, I wouldn't be upset if she didn't recommend it, or if we were not able to get it (kids don't have any health issues), because I know that it only shortens the flu by one day. We live in a large metro area with lots of hospitals, if we needed to be seen urgently due to flu symptoms, I could take the kids in. Not sure if that's helpful to you! I know it's hard not to worry, but sometimes that's part of the "mom gig".
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I did talk to our pedi who said she's split down the middle in terms of giving it to DC. Hence my asking here for some opinions.
    Honestly, your doctor’s response doesn’t surprise me being there is no flu diagnosis. I’m sure they would be more committed to one way or the other if the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm chuckling and appreciative. I am a planner - so thanks for the reminder to stop trying to plan (ie control). Moving on now.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I'm chuckling and appreciative. I am a planner - so thanks for the reminder to stop trying to plan (ie control). Moving on now.
    I'm a planner too, so I totally get wanting to make the decision in advance when you aren't dealing with the stress and emotions of a sick child. We've never used tamiflu and I would likely refuse it (in the absence of a very severe case) for all my kids except the one with underlying health issues. I'd be more likely to try it if my pediatrician suggested it.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Our ped doesn't recommend it for kids unless there are other health issues. He says the side effects are usually worse then the flu and not worth shortening it by a day or so.
    This is what our pad said when ODS tested positive for the flu in 2016. I caught it from him neither of us took Tamiflu

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I'm a planner too, so I totally get wanting to make the decision in advance when you aren't dealing with the stress and emotions of a sick child.
    Thank you for getting it.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The one year I had a mild case of swine flu in 2009 I was pregnant so it wasn’t even suggested. I had to take Robitussin (dr. Gave me a list of okay otc flu remedies for pregnant women) and rest for two or three days before going back to work. I started taking elderberry syrup last year and it totally works. I also do use TheraFlu which I find to be effective as well. I know not everyone's level of comfort but it works for me.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This was a very helpful thread for me. DD has the the flu, spiked fever and horrible headache Thursday night and the swab at the ped. on Friday came positive. They called in Tamiflu, but I decided to not give her. She has been fever free without medications since yesterday afternoon but still has cough and a nasty cold. I did not respond in the other thread, but I have some of the same questions that bisous has asked there.
    DD did have a flu shot, all of us did back in October.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I trust my ped, so I'd go with what he recommended if my kids came down with the flu. They've never had the flu. I have and I've never taken tamiflu.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4