Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Tube mascara - pros and cons

Based on recommendations from the BBB I have discovered “tube mascara” (L’Oréal Double Extend in red/white tube) and at first I really really loved it . The main reason i likes it is that is smudge-proof and doesn’t leave those raccoon eye rings! Also it is easy to remove (just with warm water).

However one thing I don’t like is that often the white Step 1 “ primer” are often still very visible even after applying the Step 2 coat. The white stuff does NOT clear up at all with time and trying to cover it up with additional coats of the Step2 Black coat doesn’t seem to help that much except making it look clumpy. I did my mascara this morning in a semi-rush and now am at work and i noticed in the mirror how bad it looks because there were little white flecks throughout my lashes...ugh.

Are there other brands of tube mascara that don’t do this? Or Can u use it without the white stuff first -does it affect the staying power? I am bummed bc I really had high hopes after using it initially...
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-18-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I swear I have never had that. I have used this mascara forever - probably one of he first bbb to rec it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hmm. I just bought some too as I wasn't happy with the smudging from my current one. I can apply in under a minute and not have that problem though. I go very light on the white though. The gentlest of touches. Remember to wiggle your brush when you apply mascara.

I totally wiggle the brush every time I apply. There were still white specks everywhere. I coated it 2-3x and still couldn’t get them all covered. I even went thru with one of those small combs to stop it from clumping. When I got to work and so how bad it looked I had to try to apply another coat and fiddle with the comb so it wasn’t clumpy, but it still can see white flecks throughout and I’m debating washing it all off (but then that would be a pain and i would have to retouch my foundation etc).

Sigh. This is so exhausting. and of the million reasons I never wore makeup...lol.

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, go very light on the white part. Sometimes I let the white dry and sometimes I don’t. It always gets fully covered with the black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

I just do one light coat of each. I don't feel a need for more. Could you try that?

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I just do one light coat of each. I don't feel a need for more. Could you try that?
    the thing is, i feel like i need to do 2-3x coats of the black to cover up all the white stuff.

maybe i really need to apply the white stuff really lightly and only on one side (the under/inner side of lashes). this time i think i tried applying the primer to both sides (top side as well, like its often recommended with traditional mascara) and i guess that is a big no-no with this kind of mascara. even if you go over it on both sides with the black it still doesn't work. bc i do think that other times i didn't do that (coat both top and bottom) and it wasn't nearly as hard to cover up all the white primer.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-18-2018 at 11:28 AM.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I didn't get white specks, but I also wasn't a fan. It just looked somehow.... odd no matter how I applied it. I did like how it washed off though.

I think mascara is a hard one, what works amazing for someone's eyelashes might be a disaster on someone else's. I'm not sure what the factors are, but there is a reason there are 6 million formulations to wade through.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    the thing is, i feel like i need to do 2-3x coats of the black to cover up all the white stuff.

maybe i really need to apply the white stuff really lightly and only on one side (the under/inner side of lashes). this time i think i tried applying the primer to both sides (top side as well, like its often recommended with traditional mascara) and i guess that is a big no-no with this kind of mascara. even if you go over it on both sides with the black it still doesn't work. bc i do think that other times i didn't do that (coat both top and bottom) and it wasn't nearly as hard to cover up all the white primer.
    Never in my life have I applied to both sides. Must have missed that lesson. My lashes look good though.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Never in my life have I applied to both sides. Must have missed that lesson. My lashes look good though.
    LOL, i never did either, but then in various youtube tutorials ppl recommend to do it for fuller lashes, and i think it does work for traditional mascara, which just coats the one side it is applied on. Now that i think of it, tube mascara (and the primer) probably naturally coats lashes from all side even if it's just applied on one side, so that doesn't apply here. ah well, lesson learned!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast