View Poll Results: Are you changing your lifestyle to minimize chances of getting the flu?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I'm freaking out about the flu and have curtailed most normal stuff ly

3 3.26%
  • Yes - I've changed some activities but nothing extreme

7 7.61%
  • No - I am living life 100% normal

82 89.13%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default This year's flu- bigger picture

Someone just asked me this so I thought I'd turn it over to the BBB's opinion...

To try to minimize you family's chances of getting the flu, are you changing your daily lives in terms of the flu this year since the vaccine isn't working well? (ie not traveling, not eating out, not going into the office as frequently, not doing things you'd regularly do, etc)

My colleague just told me all about recent flu deaths in our area and told me she's basically going on lockdown - which gave me pause. I like to be prepared and know my plan re taking Tamiflu etc if one of us gets the flu - but should we be doing more preventatively? I've read the CDC flu stats, but this friend made it sound like this year's flu is basically terrifying.

*Please note I'm not looking to hear horror stories of people with the flu - just curious how/if people are adapting lifestyles.
    Last edited by mackmama; 01-18-2018 at 09:26 PM.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No. You can’t live your life in a bubble. Many people are contagious before they even show symptoms. You can’t keep your child home from school for months, and they will be exposed to plenty of germs there.

Many (not all) of the people who die, wait too long to get medical help. They wait until they are so sick and can barely breathe to go to the doctor, and by then not only do they have the flu, but pneumonia, and sepsis, and things like that. I discussed this with my son’s doctor last week when he was diagnosed. She calmed me down, and said as long as you use common sense in seeking medical help, it will lessen your chances of having serious complications.

My severely asthmatic DS got the flu last week (influenza A which is the bad one), he came through it with few issues. Everyone else in my family got it, and we were all over it within 2 to 3 days, and it really wasn’t that bad for any of us. We all had flu shots which is supposedly helping to lessen the symptoms. There is a shortage of Tamiflu, so if you don’t have risk factors, you most likely won’t even be offered it.

You seem to have a lot of anxiety around the flu!!

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Other than harping on my family to "WASH YOUR HANDS" and "USE SOAP!!!", not much. Of course I harp on them anyway, but now I add, "THE FLU IS RAMPANT"!

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nope, no change. I treat all illnesses the same and do the same preventative measures as always-- washing hands, making sure our vitamin D levels are high, and that's about it!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Other than harping on my family to "WASH YOUR HANDS" and "USE SOAP!!!", not much. Of course I harp on them anyway, but now I add, "THE FLU IS RAMPANT"!
    Same here.
    DS age 9

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    No. You can’t live your life in a bubble. Many people are contagious before they even show symptoms. You can’t keep your child home from school for months, and they will be exposed to plenty of germs there.

Many (not all) of the people who die, wait too long to get medical help. They wait until they are so sick and can barely breathe to go to the doctor, and by then not only do they have the flu, but pneumonia, and sepsis, and things like that. I discussed this with my son’s doctor last week when he was diagnosed. She calmed me down, and said as long as you use common sense in seeking medical help, it will lessen your chances of having serious complications.

My severely asthmatic DS got the flu last week (influenza A which is the bad one), he came through it with few issues. Everyone else in my family got it, and we were all over it within 2 to 3 days, and it really wasn’t that bad for any of us. We all had flu shots which is supposedly helping to lessen the symptoms. There is a shortage of Tamiflu, so if you don’t have risk factors, you most likely won’t even be offered it.

You seem to have a lot of anxiety around the flu!!
    I think I'm around several people who have a lot of anxiety about the flu actually, so it makes me question whether I should be doing more or preparing more.

Interesting re people not getting medical help who end up with complications. So if one thinks they have the flu, do you think it's good to get swabbed or at least see the doc right away versus riding it out for a few days? I know my doc tells people NOT to come in if they think they have the flu so as not to infect others. Our pedi also doesn't usually swab for the flu and just goes based on symptoms since the swab is so unpleasant.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I think I'm around several people who have a lot of anxiety about the flu actually, so it makes me question whether I should be doing more or preparing more.

Interesting re people not getting medical help who end up with complications. So if one thinks they have the flu, do you think it's good to get swabbed or at least see the doc right away versus riding it out for a few days? I know my doc tells people NOT to come in if they think they have the flu so as not to infect others. Our pedi also doesn't usually swab for the flu and just goes based on symptoms since the swab is so unpleasant.
    You don’t need to go to the doctor at the first sign of the flu. If you start to have pain or trouble breathing you need to go in. If you are coughing so much you can’t breathe go in, if your symptoms get better, but then come back and get worse, go in. Just use common sense. In most cases of the flu, it runs its course with no problems. You take some Advil for the fever and aches, medicine for the cough, drink fluids and get lots of rest. Aside from my DS with asthma, the rest of us just took Advil for the fever and aches, but nothing else. Our cough was not bad enough to warrant any other meds. My younger son went on Tamiflu and had to increase his steroids. He has had a harder time with RSV than he did with the flu.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My Dad who is in a memory care unit just had the flu. They sent him to the ER thinking he had a seizure. He did not have a fever until the next day and was diagnosed 2 days later with Flu TypeA. My mother waited in the car instead of the ER waiting room until he had a curtained area because there were so many people with flu in the waiting room. They did have them wearing masks. My Dad had a flu shot and thankfully is fine. He had to stay an extra day because many of the staff at his facility had the flu and they didn’t have enough people to take him back. Now he is in isolation in his room... he is no longer contagious but they do not want him to be reinfected.

We are being vigilant about hand washing but not changing any plans. I did not get the flu shot (never had one) but DC did.

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS1's college town is out of Tamiflu. His roommate has it and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before DS1 gets it. But, he still needs to get to class (and keep an eye on his roommate). I remind him to wash his hands and Clorox wipe door knobs and light switches. It's running rampant in college dorms right now.

I work in an elementary school and DS2 goes to a different elementary school, so we are exposed constantly. We can't just stop functioning because of the risk. If we're going to get it, we're going to get it. We've had shots but it sounds like that won't help much this year.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Nope no change. Never had flu shot ( never will) same with the DH & minor boys We eat healthy and if they seem to show some cold virus type symptoms we treat accordingly
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast