View Poll Results: Are you changing your lifestyle to minimize chances of getting the flu?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I'm freaking out about the flu and have curtailed most normal stuff ly

3 3.26%
  • Yes - I've changed some activities but nothing extreme

7 7.61%
  • No - I am living life 100% normal

82 89.13%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Interesting re people not getting medical help who end up with complications. So if one thinks they have the flu, do you think it's good to get swabbed or at least see the doc right away versus riding it out for a few days? I know my doc tells people NOT to come in if they think they have the flu so as not to infect others. Our pedi also doesn't usually swab for the flu and just goes based on symptoms since the swab is so unpleasant.
    My 8 year old DS2 just got over a nasty virus last week-- fever up to 104, nonstop cough, chills, headache, runny nose, etc. I treated him the same as always and had no plan of taking him to the doctor since he was improving by day 3 (fever was highest on day 2), but if you miss 3 days of school you have to get a doctor's note to return so I had to take him in. He tested negative for the flu and the doctor said to just continue what I was doing at home. He ended up missing 4 days of school and then we had a 3 day weekend.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not changing a thing. The flu is around every year. We exercise, eat healthy, wash hands, etc. nothing different. I don’t intend to be paranoid. Paranoia causes stress. Stress makes you more susceptible. I approach germs with a knowledgeable, realistic, calm approach
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Not changing a thing. The flu is around every year. We exercise, eat healthy, wash hands, etc. nothing different. I don’t intend to be paranoid. Paranoia causes stress. Stress makes you more susceptible. I approach germs with a knowledgeable, realistic, calm approach
    yeahthat.
    I did buy some elderberry syrup for kids when it was on sale in amazon, but that's it. we all got the flu shots.

I am paranoid about a lot of things, but getting sick isn't one of them, I guess bc it's so by chance. especially now that my kids are older.

I have not gotten sick at all in 2 years, and DC has gotten sick at all last year (knocking on wood!!). the last really bad thing we had in our house was strep 2 years ago (luckily I didn't get it). I think regular exercise helps A TON for me...I exercise 5x a week usually. if I don't exercise, I tend to get sick.

I think I paid my dues already back in 2012,2013 when my kids started daycare and I and the kids got everything under the sun. and again in 2015 when DS started public school.

No changes beyond what we do usually. Which is frequent hand washing, take out vitamins, get plenty of vit D in us (2 out of 4 in my home is always low on vit D), good sleep habits, drink elderberry and eat my homemade chicken noodle soup with lots of garlic and ginger in it.

I don’t subscribe to live in caution all the time of the next illness. Flu, colds, etc are always contagious prior people getting it, and we’re out in school, work, and community being exposed to it unknowingly. Best defense is arm yourself to be as healthy possible.

No stress is another big thing. If you don’t sleep well, easily stress over things like this flu according to couple of threads from you. You’re likely to be prone to common colds, ailments, and the like since your immune system is down from overly stressed out state of being.

Relax. Breathe. Continue living as you’ve always have so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No changes here and I have two kiddos with asthma. We are very vigilant about washing our hands as soon as we get home and not touching our face/nose/eyes before we wash. Other than that we just try to eat healthy and get good sleep.

I had a friend last year who ended up with sepsis from the flu. She had bronchitis before she got the flu, so when she got sick again she waited too long to go in, thinking it was still the bronchitis. She pulled through and is doing well, but had to have some serious surgery to clear the infection out of her lungs. You don't need to go running into the doctor at the first sign of the flu (my DH wanted to do this because he saw on TV to go to your dr :roll eyes, but as others mentioned if things take a turn for the worse, you can't breathe, etc then go in. Also, I have a friend who is a respiratory therapist and she said normal when people die they have an underlying condition that they may or may not know about. There was a girl that died here last year whom everyone thought was super healthy, turns out she had a heart defect that he parents didn't know about and it likely contributed to her death.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Zero changes here. Kids in sports, school and activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Other than harping on my family to "WASH YOUR HANDS" and "USE SOAP!!!", not much. Of course I harp on them anyway, but now I add, "THE FLU IS RAMPANT"!
    This is us!

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Honestly, not even on my radar.

we never get flu shots, but got them this year because my pregnant SIL is living with us. we were on vacation in disneyworld last week, but our area is officially in the 'severe' or whatever category now. the pediatrician's office said they're seeing between 20 and 30 patients with flu a day. So, yeah, we're curtailing our normal activities. for example, i didn't take my 4yo with me to the grocery store this week. we're not eating out.

for us, though, my DD1 has asthma. My DS has KH and would need to be hospitalized if he got the flu. So, in my situation it just makes sense to be extra diligent right now. If we weren't in that boat, I probably wouldn't worry as much.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

It’s totally in my radar, but that’s because I am the one doing the testing at the hospital. I have been taking my own food and avoiding the cafeteria. I also steer clear of anyone coughing in public.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast