Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Turpin family case

I have been reading a lot about this case. Anyone else? I’m shocked that it went on for so long. It’s just horrifying. So apparently in CA you can operate a private school and the state has no authority to inspect the school. It may be the same in other states but it seems someone should be checking on these “schools”. Particularly disturbing in this article is that the 29 year old weighed 82 pounds. My 11 year old is 80 pounds.

Horrific details emerge as parents accused of holding their 13 children captive are charged with torture - Los Angeles Times
    https://apple.news/AiGfGIhwkQym6ckBpwriPIg

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been following it too. Absolutely horrific. Reports said the mom was very confused about why they were arrested. Say what? Maybe mental illness is a factor.
    DS age 9

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momit View Post
    I've been following it too. Absolutely horrific. Reports said the mom was very confused about why they were arrested. Say what? Maybe mental illness is a factor.
    I read that she was married at age 16. I wonder how much she really understands...It really does sound like mental illness of some kind.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

it is so beyond the pale. I read somewhere that the mom's sister reported some abuse by the dad (watching her shower, etc)?

the pictures from the wedding and the Disney trips look like something straight out of a horror film.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    it is so beyond the pale. I read somewhere that the mom's sister reported some abuse by the dad (watching her shower, etc)?

the pictures from the wedding and the Disney trips look like something straight out of a horror film.
    And they filed bankruptcy because they were $240,000 in debt yet took 15 people to Disney & a vow renewal in Vegas.

Yes the mom’s sister said she was not allowed in the house but had no idea what was going on and was upset by it. The mom’s mother said they were loving parents and has no idea why they were arrested.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I read that she was married at age 16. I wonder how much she really understands...It really does sound like mental illness of some kind.
    Yes, I feel like the mother must have a severe mental disorder. Also wonder where she has been abused and manipulated by her husband. The whole story is sick, sick, sick. The 17 yr old who finally took the risk and got out is a total hero here. I'm sure that must have been terrifying for her to do. Did anyone else notice that in the wedding pic all the girls have their hair parted down the middle except the girl holding the baby and standing next to the dad? It crossed my mind that maybe the baby is hers and there has been sexual abuse going on as well? I don't know but I'm glad I don't have to serve on that jury and hear all the horrific things that start coming to light.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Age has nothing to do with it. My grandmother was married at age 16 and had 10 healthy, happy, normal children. And those kids now have healthy, happy normal kids, my cousins. And besides, the mother’s not 16yo anymore. So what’s her excuse for this horrible abuse now?

This is a result of mental illness clearly.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Age has nothing to do with it. My grandmother was married at age 16 and had 10 healthy, happy, normal children. And those kids now have healthy, happy normal kids, my cousins. And besides, the mother’s not 16yo anymore. So what’s her excuse for this horrible abuse now?

This is a result of mental illness clearly.
    Oh I know there are good parents at young ages. My own grandma was 17 when she had my aunt. I guess I was just thinking that she left her family at such a young age to be with her older husband and hasn't had any contact with her family really since then. That seems really isolating and could be the reason that she seemed so surprised when apprehended by authorities. It is almost like she never knew normal. (All of this is total speculation but I'm just trying to figure out the psychology of the whole thing).

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The more I learn about this situation, the more it sounds as though the wife/mother may be almost as much of a victim as the children. Whether she is mentally ill or just deluded by someone who is essentially a cult leader, her story seems tragic too.
    Last edited by sariana; 01-22-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast