Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Turpin family case

I have been reading a lot about this case. Anyone else? I’m shocked that it went on for so long. It’s just horrifying. So apparently in CA you can operate a private school and the state has no authority to inspect the school. It may be the same in other states but it seems someone should be checking on these “schools”. Particularly disturbing in this article is that the 29 year old weighed 82 pounds. My 11 year old is 80 pounds.

Horrific details emerge as parents accused of holding their 13 children captive are charged with torture - Los Angeles Times
    https://apple.news/AiGfGIhwkQym6ckBpwriPIg

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been following it too. Absolutely horrific. Reports said the mom was very confused about why they were arrested. Say what? Maybe mental illness is a factor.
    DS age 9

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momit View Post
    I've been following it too. Absolutely horrific. Reports said the mom was very confused about why they were arrested. Say what? Maybe mental illness is a factor.
    I read that she was married at age 16. I wonder how much she really understands...It really does sound like mental illness of some kind.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

it is so beyond the pale. I read somewhere that the mom's sister reported some abuse by the dad (watching her shower, etc)?

the pictures from the wedding and the Disney trips look like something straight out of a horror film.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    it is so beyond the pale. I read somewhere that the mom's sister reported some abuse by the dad (watching her shower, etc)?

the pictures from the wedding and the Disney trips look like something straight out of a horror film.
    And they filed bankruptcy because they were $240,000 in debt yet took 15 people to Disney & a vow renewal in Vegas.

Yes the mom’s sister said she was not allowed in the house but had no idea what was going on and was upset by it. The mom’s mother said they were loving parents and has no idea why they were arrested.

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I have been reading a lot about this case. Anyone else? I’m shocked that it went on for so long. It’s just horrifying. So apparently in CA you can operate a private school and the state has no authority to inspect the school. It may be the same in other states but it seems someone should be checking on these “schools”. Particularly disturbing in this article is that the 29 year old weighed 82 pounds. My 11 year old is 80 pounds.

Horrific details emerge as parents accused of holding their 13 children captive are charged with torture - Los Angeles Times
    https://apple.news/AiGfGIhwkQym6ckBpwriPIg

In California there is no "homeschooling". Instead homeschoolers set up private schools of 1 kid, 2 kids or however many kids are homeschooled within the family. This was affirmed to be a legal way for homeschoolers to homeschool by the Supreme Court of CA, IIRC. Every October, you file an affidavit listing the number of kids in the "school" and the names and addresses of the administrators. I'm not defending this horrifying situation, just clarifying that it's not as if it's a real private school.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The granddad doesn’t seem to believe it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I read that she was married at age 16. I wonder how much she really understands...It really does sound like mental illness of some kind.
    Yes, I feel like the mother must have a severe mental disorder. Also wonder where she has been abused and manipulated by her husband. The whole story is sick, sick, sick. The 17 yr old who finally took the risk and got out is a total hero here. I'm sure that must have been terrifying for her to do. Did anyone else notice that in the wedding pic all the girls have their hair parted down the middle except the girl holding the baby and standing next to the dad? It crossed my mind that maybe the baby is hers and there has been sexual abuse going on as well? I don't know but I'm glad I don't have to serve on that jury and hear all the horrific things that start coming to light.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    The granddad doesn’t seem to believe it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    This scares me too, that the grandparents are questioning it. I really hope the kids don't end up with any of their extended family because I don't know if their needs will be taken seriously.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast