Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has anyone ever used OurPact to help minimize phone usage with their kids?

I find this intriguing. Right now both my middle schoolers have phones, which is the norm around here. I have a policy at night that it must be turned in by 930 without being told to do so and they cannot sleep with them in their rooms.

Just curious if anyone has used this and what they thought.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

I've used it but not since they upgraded it. It was pretty limited when I used it (with ipads). Looking forward to seeing reviews of the new version so I'll bump this for you.

Yup, I do. My kids are not fans but I love it. It really helps limit screen time as I can turn off all apps and texting on their phones and iPads at will. I also schedule times when they do not have access.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We use Circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I use it with my kids, who are young, 9 and 5. Right now I’m only using it to turn off all apps but the timer, audiobooks, or music after a certain time in the evening or during times when they need to be getting ready for school or other activities. I love the ability to choose which apps stay on and which turn off. My kids have their devices in their rooms at night so they can fall asleep to audiobooks or music. I want to be sure they’re not using their devices for games or Netflix at night, and this is perfect for that. I’ve also turned off just the tv type apps but left things like Minecraft or school related apps. For me, it’s very much worth the subscription, though we used it for a long time with just the all-on/all-off schedule, and that was also really helpful. The music and timer apps did stay on, but apps like Overdrive and Amazon Music vanished.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

So do you need to be on wifi for it to work, or will it work over the regular network too? It was my understanding that Circle works on wifi, and kids can just bypass it by getting off wifi and connecting to the network, if they have access. We have T-Mobile, so we have unlimited data access. Correct me if I am wrong on that.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We’re considering it

n2ou is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I do. When mine are out and about and won’t answer their phone, I shut off the apps. When they lose the privilege of having a phone, I shut off the apps. No arguing, no taking phones. They still are available to call or answer my text. I find it genius.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for mentioning it! This is a product I'm definitely interested in.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl07067 View Post
    So do you need to be on wifi for it to work, or will it work over the regular network too? It was my understanding that Circle works on wifi, and kids can just bypass it by getting off wifi and connecting to the network, if they have access. We have T-Mobile, so we have unlimited data access. Correct me if I am wrong on that.
    I don’t really understand your question, but OurPact needs the controlled and controlling devices both to be on the same WiFi network in order to communicate, so if you want to change things, you need to be on the same WiFi network. If you leave WiFi access, the device will stay in whatever scheduled mode it was in when it left until it’s on WiFi again. I don’t think you can make changes over cellular. (My kids don’t have cellular access, so I’m not sure about this.) Needing both devices to be on WiFi has caused problems in the past, like when we went to take a flight and left at 3am when the kids’ devices were turned off by OurPact and then didn’t have WiFi on the plane. We were traveling with bricks. I always had to be really careful to have the kids turn on their devices BEFORE we left the house and our WiFi connection just to make sure their devices had all their apps back. Now there’s a workaround for that. You can disable OurPact from the controlled device, and it sends a notification to the controlling device, but it does disengage. Now my carrier plan allows me to create a mobile hotspot, so I don’t need to worry about the WiFi issue. As long as I’m physically near the kids, I can get us all on the same WiFi network. What I can’t do is change settings when I and my phone are on a business trip and the kids are home, for example, or when I’m home, but the kids are at school (if they had devices at school). As for kids just using cellular instead of WiFi to access the Internet, for example. You couldn’t do that with OurPact, because it makes the apps on the controlled device inaccessible. There would be no browser or app for them to use to get on the internet unless you’d allowed those apps to remain accessible. OurPact controls the device, not the network. It only uses the network to communicate changes to the controlled device.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast