Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Teacher issue not adequately addressed by the principal

Background: My kid is in a class with a long time teacher who seems to no longer be a good fit for the classroom. For context, my DH has 20 years in the classroom (still teaching) and we're very supportive of teachers. DS1 struggled greatly earlier in the year, where he was singled out for behaving WELL and expected to keep the others in line. Lots of whole class punishments, mocking kids, making them do ridiculous manual labor (scrubbing floors for forgetting to take a hat off), etc. My kid is a rule follower and hasn't broken the rules, but it's a bad environment. We are far from the only ones upset - many parents are outraged. I'm the room mom and my kid has been singled out by the teacher (for behaving, but kind of mocked), so I think they know I'm a safe space or something.

I've personally met with the principal regarding this three times. They know that I am outraged. The principal is new-ish and ineffective IMO - my DH concurs. Some other parents have met with her too, others are hesitant because they are afraid the teacher will retaliate.

I'm on the fence about calling a board member who I serve on a somewhat unrelated committee with and have an existing relationship with. I feel like that is overstepping, but also feel like something has to happen. But, MY KID is okay at this point. He's decided that it will be a bad year and is waiting it out. That said, he lives in fear of breaking the rules accidentally.

WWYD?

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If the principal is ineffective then I would go to his/her boss which in my district would be the Superintendent. If the Superintendent does nothing then go to the school board. Even if your son seems ok being in an environment where he is scared and worried all the time is not ok.

Send the Superintendent an email, tell him/her that you would like to meet with them to discuss concerns about a teacher. Tell them that you have met with the principal 3 times (give dates) and that you have not received a satisfactory resolution.

If you can get other parents to go with you, that would be great. If not, then go prepared with very specific examples of teachers behavior... things you absolutely know for sure and focus only on your child. . No “I heard from another parent”. A specific list with dates or approximate dates would be good. Also have in mind what you would like to see happen- DS moved, teacher fired, etc.

Maybe also if other parents are scared to go then they would write a letter you could bring.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If it is really bad you need to go over the principals head. I agree that the most effective approach would be having other parents do the same.

What result do you want? Do you want the principal to talk to the teacher, discipline her? Do you want the teacher removed? Are the results you’ve proposed realistic? What have you actually asked the principal to do beyond apprising her of your concerns? Before going to the superintendent, who is the appropriate person to contact— not your friend on the board. Don’t do that.— I’d make sure you write a letter to the principal restating the history of your previous interactions with her (the principal), your concerns about the teacher, and the result you’d like to see. If you have already done this, in writing, it’s time to write to the superintendent and cc the principal. The letter should lay out your concerns, when and how you’ve communicated them to the principal, what you’ve asked the principal to do, and how she responded. Then ask the superintendent for the result you’d like to see.

Honestly, there’s very little that can be done right now, halfway through the year. It’s unlikely they’d remove her from the classroom, and what she’s doing may be outmoded and awful, but it probably doesn’t rise to the level of abuse. They can bring the behavior to her attention, but that doesn’t mean she’ll change. I’m pretty sure the best you can hope for is that she’ll be monitored this year and possibly removed after the year is over. I still think you should speak up, but I don’t know what your expectations are for what can be done for the kids currently in this classroom. Those expectations may need to be adapted. It may be the principal is already doing all she can. What I definitely would not do is go to your friend on the board. If, after you’ve contacted the superintendent, you are unsatisfied with his or her response, that’s the time to write to the entire board, but trying to work around the system with a personal connection to an individual board member is not a good idea and will probably prove ineffective anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    What result do you want? Do you want the principal to talk to the teacher, discipline her? Do you want the teacher removed? Are the results you’ve proposed realistic? What have you actually asked the principal to do beyond apprising her of your concerns? Before going to the superintendent, who is the appropriate person to contact— not your friend on the board. Don’t do that.— I’d make sure you write a letter to the principal restating the history of your previous interactions with her (the principal), your concerns about the teacher, and the result you’d like to see. If you have already done this, in writing, it’s time to write to the superintendent and cc the principal. The letter should lay out your concerns, when and how you’ve communicated them to the principal, what you’ve asked the principal to do, and how she responded. Then ask the superintendent for the result you’d like to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I agree with this plan of action.

I don't know that I do agree that nothing can be done. Maybe at the very least you can have your DS moved?

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it depends on how well you know the board member. There are 2 members of the school board that I would feel comfortable contacting if the same situation were happening to me. I served on several committees with one member and know the second more in passing, but have several things in common with her. I could see myself contacting either one of them and asking, hey, what's my next step here? Meeting with the superintendent seems much more difficult than discussing the situation with the board members I know, for some reason.

I'm guessing that what seems like the most likely course of action in my school district is NOT the most likely course of action everywhere, though.

Calling a board member is overstepping and totally not okay and puts the board member in the awkward situation of shutting you down. The board member should say “talk to the superintendent” if the conversations with the principal are not productive. A board member who doesn’t do that, is in breach of their duties and interfering with the operations of the school and boards should not be involved in operations at all, they are strategic. I know it is so tempting as a parent to use your contacts but it isn’t an effective way to get things done, strains personal relationships (some parents don’t take the hint and keep trying to get board members in the muck), and if the board member does say something, it points to a dysfunctional board and is unhealthy. Contact the superintendent and let the principal know you aren’t getting satisfaction. But mid-year there is very little that can be done. Even less if a public school. And even if the teacher is being counseled or coached or on a performance plan, the principal cannot and shouldn’t tell you that information. You will always run across crummy teachers. I’m the board chair and have one now who is a long term teacher and isn’t as progressive and amazing as their colleagues. But I counsel my child that they will run into challenged with bosses, etc. and do the best they can. Hard situation to be sure but don’t try and drag a board member into it. Go to the superintendent. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    I think it depends on how well you know the board member. There are 2 members of the school board that I would feel comfortable contacting if the same situation were happening to me. I served on several committees with one member and know the second more in passing, but have several things in common with her. I could see myself contacting either one of them and asking, hey, what's my next step here? Meeting with the superintendent seems much more difficult than discussing the situation with the board members I know, for some reason.

I'm guessing that what seems like the most likely course of action in my school district is NOT the most likely course of action everywhere, though.
    Talking to a board member just puts them in a bad spot as if they “help” you aside from telling you to contact the next level of operations, they are violating their duties as board members. Most parents don’t know this and it is hard to manage in some parent populations. Big deal for boards. How to deflect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Background: My kid is in a class with a long time teacher who seems to no longer be a good fit for the classroom. For context, my DH has 20 years in the classroom (still teaching) and we're very supportive of teachers. DS1 struggled greatly earlier in the year, where he was singled out for behaving WELL and expected to keep the others in line. Lots of whole class punishments, mocking kids, making them do ridiculous manual labor (scrubbing floors for forgetting to take a hat off), etc. My kid is a rule follower and hasn't broken the rules, but it's a bad environment. We are far from the only ones upset - many parents are outraged. I'm the room mom and my kid has been singled out by the teacher (for behaving, but kind of mocked), so I think they know I'm a safe space or something.

I've personally met with the principal regarding this three times. They know that I am outraged. The principal is new-ish and ineffective IMO - my DH concurs. Some other parents have met with her too, others are hesitant because they are afraid the teacher will retaliate.

I'm on the fence about calling a board member who I serve on a somewhat unrelated committee with and have an existing relationship with. I feel like that is overstepping, but also feel like something has to happen. But, MY KID is okay at this point. He's decided that it will be a bad year and is waiting it out. That said, he lives in fear of breaking the rules accidentally.

WWYD?
    Does your teacher have tenure or equivalent (not sure what they call it these days)? If she does then I would expect little to nothing to be done. At least that has been my experience in a high performing district where we have had an ongoing (=years) problem with one of the teachers. Every year the principal says they are "working" with the teacher and their classroom behavior improves some but never completely. From what the kids have told me I would consider this teacher a bully. Teachers with status are very difficult to remove. In my experience, school board members do not get involved in teacher issues.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I would go to the superintendent. In our district, going up the chain would likely incite action, whether it means an observer in the classroom or reassignment for your son. I would not wait it out, IMO.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast