Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, all.

Clarification - I wasn't thinking of bringing the specific issue to the board member, rather ask for guidance regarding the process steps within our district. We are on a close-knit school committee together and do a fair bit of policy-based work together as a result, so it's not exactly out of left field. We also work in the same field and do some career based advocacy work within the same circle.

Tenure doesn't mean much in our state any more. They obviously cannot terminate without cause, but tenure doesn't play a rule in that.

I don't have a specific ask. I don't feel like I'm in a position to request that someone be fired - I'm certain that there are dynamics that I don't know about, nor do I think that's an appropriate request from a parent. What I would like, is for concrete actions to be taken to improve the situation - whether it be support for the teacher, increased oversight by the administration, or something.

I can guarantee that my DH would be held accountable by his administration if he was acting in this manner. This is not a "crummy teacher". We've had those and rolled with that. This is a situation where kids are being humiliated on a daily basis.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Even just asking what the next step should be? DD's school district is large (like many here, I'm sure) and there are a lot of people in the main admin building who have various roles. There are more roles than I knew existed, really. I think that one of the other people would most likely end up being someone I'd need to talk to before getting to the superintendent. That's why I'd ask the board member who to contact. The superintendent is very personable but it seems difficult to get face time with him. Still wrong to ask what the next step is? I wouldn't want to put anyone in a difficult spot.

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Talking to a board member just puts them in a bad spot as if they “help” you aside from telling you to contact the next level of operations, they are violating their duties as board members. Most parents don’t know this and it is hard to manage in some parent populations. Big deal for boards. How to deflect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    Even just asking what the next step should be? DD's school district is large (like many here, I'm sure) and there are a lot of people in the main admin building who have various roles. There are more roles than I knew existed, really. I think that one of the other people would most likely end up being someone I'd need to talk to before getting to the superintendent. That's why I'd ask the board member who to contact. The superintendent is very personable but it seems difficult to get face time with him. Still wrong to ask what the next step is? I wouldn't want to put anyone in a difficult spot.
    I had a similar thought process. The school district isn't large, but I'd prefer not to jump to the superintendent if there is a more moderate step. Additionally, as it's a small district and my kids will be here for many more years, I'd prefer to be more measured than reactionary. For example, maybe it is most appropriate to ask the principal for the method to lodge a formal complaint - I really have no idea. But, to me, going to the superintendent would only occur after all other options are exhausted, and I don't know that they have been as I don't know what they are.

I appreciate that bringing the specific concern to a board member is problematic, but I'm not sure that asking process based questions without specifics would be. I have searched the district website extensively and have found nothing that provides any guidance even remotely applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I agree with this plan of action.

I don't know that I do agree that nothing can be done. Maybe at the very least you can have your DS moved?
    Having him moved wouldn't do much. They rotate between the teachers. While they are with their homeroom teacher more, he has grade level acceleration for a portion of the day. It would limit his time in there some, but certainly wouldn't eliminate it.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for your concern about this. Please move forward with informing the principal, superintendent, school board... While it does not affect your child directly, those that are affected can be scarred!

Call the Superintendents office and ask. I would think by just talking to administration, someone will help you figure out what to do next.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can relate to your post. I would go to the superintendent at this point. (Not your board member friend or the ineffective principal.) I would request a meeting with the superintendent, relay your experiences and concerns in person (you could preface it with an email if it's easier to get your points across), and request something specific having to do with your son. It's unlikely this teacher will be removed mid-year (if ever). I also wouldn't seek for this teacher to be removed right now because that could cause blowback to your son by this teacher if she caught wind of it. So I would share that kids in that class feel scared and are often shamed and ask specifically what the superintendent plans to do about that immediately. Then sit and listen. Continue to put the onus on them. Perhaps what you are asking for is to be ensured that your child has a "good" teacher next year? Or that another teacher/professional regularly observes the classroom to ensure the children's emotional safety? Something concrete.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I still think 123LuckyMom's plan is the best. It is very matter of fact and professional.

But I also think what you are describing is worth a bit of a fight. I do think that children can be scarred by one (really!) bad teacher and for all of their sake, it is worth it to expend a little political capital.

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    The problem is that most people aren’t really asking “what the next step is” or for real help navigating the administration. They are really looking for a way to get their complaint heard by someone they have a relationship with, to vent, or just to lash it in some cases. Many board members won’t even know the steps themselves - on a board we don’t focus on those operational issues or who the principal reports too (if a large district with layers between principals and super). It would be more effective to talk to a parent who might have had to go over a principal’s head in the past or to call the district office (assuming this is public) and ask (anonymously if you want) or to see if the policy manual is online with how to resolve or report issues. Sorry, just in my experience, talking to board members you have a relationship with isn’t really helpful and can be counterproductive. A letter to the full board if all else fails, may get on the radar but boards really don’t do operations.

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    The problem is that most people aren’t really asking “what the next step is” or for real help navigating the administration. They are really looking for a way to get their complaint heard by someone they have a relationship with, to vent, or just to lash it in some cases. Many board members won’t even know the steps themselves - on a board we don’t focus on those operational issues or who the principal reports too (if a large district with layers between principals and super). It would be more effective to talk to a parent who might have had to go over a principal’s head in the past or to call the district office (assuming this is public) and ask (anonymously if you want) or to see if the policy manual is online with how to resolve or report issues. Sorry, just in my experience, talking to board members you have a relationship with isn’t really helpful and can be counterproductive. A letter to the full board if all else fails, may get on the radar but boards really don’t do operations.

Both myself and the board member are attorneys and very capable of having a "what is the process" discussion.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Both myself and the board member are attorneys and very capable of having a "what is the process" discussion.
    I think you'll be fine consulting with the board member. I have done this myself and it was instructive and not awkward at all. We still had to follow procedure but my friend, the board member, had lots of experience that provided some good guidance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast