Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I think you'll be fine consulting with the board member. I have done this myself and it was instructive and not awkward at all. We still had to follow procedure but my friend, the board member, had lots of experience that provided some good guidance.
    I agree if the purpose is to get advice on what steps you can take and how the process works rather than to get the board member to intervene. And asking for a plan as to how the school or district will help make sure the classroom dynamic changes is the sort of result that makes sense. It is an important thing to pursue, and I do hope you will go forward. Kids spend a lot of time in school, and it’s important that the classroom dynamics model the kind of behavior the kids need to learn. When the teacher behaves badly, it’s a problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I still think 123LuckyMom's plan is the best. It is very matter of fact and professional.

But I also think what you are describing is worth a bit of a fight. I do think that children can be scarred by one (really!) bad teacher and for all of their sake, it is worth it to expend a little political capital.
    Honestly, most board members don’t know the official policy for going around a principal - they are a back channel. And for a public school board, even less likely to be involved in those types of questions. They look at what the superintendent does and the principals report to the super or to a middle level of large enough district. I have yet to see a parent ask a “procedure” question without alluding to the issue and hoping I, or my trustees, will take action. Call the administrative offices if a public school, they will know what to do. Or ask the board member but acknowledge you are hoping for more impact that the answer of “call the superintendent” as that is what the advice will probably be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I agree if the purpose is to get advice on what steps you can take and how the process works rather than to get the board member to intervene. And asking for a plan as to how the school or district will help make sure the classroom dynamic changes is the sort of result that makes sense. It is an important thing to pursue, and I do hope you will go forward. Kids spend a lot of time in school, and it’s important that the classroom dynamics model the kind of behavior the kids need to learn. When the teacher behaves badly, it’s a problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    If they are currently, or start counseling the teacher, they should not be telling the parent any details. Just be prepared for a “thank you for bringing this to our attention” or “we are aware of concerns” answer. Don’t expect assurances or agreement with the assessment of the teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does your district have a uniform complaint procedure? Most districts do. When you complete the complaint, cite ed code and board policy that is being violated by the teacher, heck I would even cite the state teaching performance standards that are being violated. If the district does not have a uniform complaint procedure (which you can find out with one phone call to the main line), then I would write the same letter and send it to the principal and to the principal's supervisor. The principal may indeed be ineffective, but also may have his/her hands tied. If the teacher is protected by her union, it can be extremely difficult to terminate, even for egregious offenses. Trust me, I know. It is entirely possible the admistrator is taking action, but of course, she cannot tell you do to privacy concerns. It would be ideal if you could also get the other parents to write letters too. I am so sorry this is happening to your son and his classmates, it breaks my heart.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3