citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Selling on ebay or FB groups - questions re shipping

I have a few basic questions for the experts here who sell via Facebook BST groups, eBay or other places where you ship to the buyer. I have never sold other than a few times in local consignment stores. I typically just give away or donate clothing but am on a few BST groups where folks are ISO exactly the items I have in NWT or like new condition. I figured I would dip my toes in the water of resale. What do I need to get started?

1. Paypal account - just a basic account or something else to avoid fees?
    2. Padded mailers or polymailers - which ones, what size do you recommend for kids' clothing?
    3. I really can't deal with post office lines each time I have to ship. How do you guys do that USPS printed label via Paypal which also has a tracking feature? What supplies do I need to make that happen?
    4. Anything else that's good to know or have?

Thanks for any advice and excuse my ignorance!

for Sandy Hook

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Resale is tough, I do it - but often wonder if it's worth my time and hassle. Lately too many people try to haggle (FB), want something for free (CL) or claim the item was not as described (Ebay - to try for a refund).

1 - i ONLY use paypal. Yes, basic account.
    2 - I bought polymailers from amazon.... i think it was a pack of 100 pretty cheap. If you offer priority mail, you can get free mailers from the post office (padded or poly), but mine never has them in stock. They put them out, and people take them by handfuls.
    3 - i do the printed label right from ebay and out of my paypal account. Printed on plain paper to a regular printer, and just tape on. I usually stock up on tissue paper (to wrap item), and look for cheap packaging tape since i go through alot. I'll also save/reuse boxes when i get a good size.

For clothes i usually offer first class and priority shipping. Lighter items - people usually chose first class to save a little, but alot of the time the price can be comparable. Do you have a postal scale? I usually weigh my item (in envelope or box) and put that directly in my auction. Be warned some post offices boxes don't allow you to drop in anything over a pound.... you have to drop it at the post office.

I do not offer refunds... but can't tell you how many times people tried to put in a paypal claim or ask for some % back. I'm an honest seller and try to be extremely fair, but mistakes CAN happen.

I do not ship facebook or craigslist sales - but you will be asked CONSTANTLY if you will.

Good luck

Thank you so much! I don't have a postal scale - maybe something I should invest in. Do you have one you like?

for Sandy Hook

Here is the backdoor link to the paypal usps first class shipping: https://www.paypal.com/signin/?retur...md%3d_ship-now
    last I checked, you can only ship priority on the USPS site and this lets you ship first class with tracking.

I bought a set of polymailers from ebay - I think they're 10x14. If they're too big, I fold them over. I save the big poly bags from Kohl's (and other) shipments to reuse for bigger items.

I have this postage scale and use it all the time.
    https://www.amazon.com/Weighmax-Digi...=postage+scale

Thanks for the links! So it looks like between mailers and scale, it would be an investment of about $25. Seems worth it to me. My bigger challenge is the post office hassle, but if almost all of this can be done at home, with just a drop off at the post office without getting in line, that is do-able.

for Sandy Hook

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You do not need to go to the post office. Print your labels at home and arrange online for pick up at home, I didn't even so that , my mailman picks up from my front step, I leave him a note in my mailbix and the package on my front step.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk