Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I would skip Dublin if it's a logistical issue getting from Cork to Limerick, Dingle area, and up the West coastal to the Cliff of Mohr. What would be your mode of transportation? if it's a rental ehh...1.5 day in Dublin isn't worth it even though you COULD see the Kells/Trinity college, Guinness Factory, and bus tour in one day if you start out early into evening.

I prefer to keep that extra 1.5 to elsewhere if it meant I could take my time at other sites after Dublin. The rest of the country you want to see is truly beautiful and is what makes Ireland the country everyone talks about. As much it pains me to say skip Dublin as a native of that town, it just isn't worth it, imo.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The studio tour is nothing like Universal. It's not an amusement park. It's a tour of the studios where they made the movies and I have heard multiple people say it is great and you can spend all day there. I can't imagine going to London with 3 HP fans and not doing it. Must get tickets well in advance. It's a 20 minute train ride from London to Watford. I can't imagine any walking tour based in London holding a candle to the studio tour.

Football will be out of season, but you could still visit a stadium/museum/megastore. Any particular team your DD likes?

Tower of London is awesome. I would take the time to walk across the Tower Bridge while in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andie16 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

The HP Studio tour was the highlight or our whole family's trip to London last spring with kids aged 13, 10, and 7 at the time. It exceeded mine and my husband's expectations and is not at all like any amusement park. There are huge warehouse style rooms full of props, costumes, artwork, etc. from the movies along with an audio tour that talks about the incredible amount of work and detail that went into making the films.

Other highlights or our week in London included Tower of London, Churchill War Rooms, walking and playing in Hyde Park, and street performers in Covent Garden. We did the London Eye the first day we were there while and it was a good activity for tired kids so they could see some of the sights we planned on going to later in the week.

Have a fantastic trip!
    Andrea
    dd 19
    ds 16
    dd 13

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Agree with everyone who says that the Warner Bros/HP Studios is a must with HP fans. Note that you have to reserve tickets in advance. I can't remember how far in advance so I'd check now. No tickets are sold at the door.

We had a 2pm tour and stayed pretty much til the end. Could've have used another hour or so.

Fwiw, we went to London last summer. Since Dd2 was on the throes of the novels, we also took a trip to US Hollywood a month later. We all liked the Studio Tour more than Universal Studios.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What about afternoon tea? Also, be careful not to pack in too much in your itinerary. Make sure to schedule in some down time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station is fun.

cagey is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

2nd (Or 3rd!) the HP studio outside of London. You can drive or I think there’s a bus. Get tickets early..we spent all day there and we’re not even Giant fans! It’s very different from universal as it’s the actual set and props vs amusement park things. No rides but a few interactive things There’s no soccer that time.

Also as a general note and this is more my style vs what’s recommended, but save time for wandering and puttering in little towns/neighborhoods, esp in Ireland. Dublin is great, but nothing compared to the little towns/hamlets! And you’ll be surprise at how friendly they are to Americans
    For

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh my GOODNESS!!!!!!!! I have not been getting notifications about responses and just realized that my little inquiry has more wonderful responses since the last time I checked!! THANK YOU!!! I will read these tomorrow when I am at my laptop with my notebook. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!

Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you’re in the Covent Garden area and your family likes curry, we had two wonderful meals at Masala Zone. We loved it so much we made a special trip back for a second dinner. They were great with the kids. Make a reservation.

http://www.masalazone.com/locations/covent-garden/

We stayed near Waterloo station and had dinner at Olivelli twice. My boys loved it and still talk about it.

http://ristoranteolivelli.co.uk/locations/waterloo

We had afternoon tea at the Langham. They were great with kids. If you do an afternoon tea, don’t eat before. There will be plenty to eat at tea.

http://palm-court.co.uk/#/afternoon-...-with-hamleys/

We had breakfast at Duck and Waffle - great views of the city. DS1 had waffles with ice cream!

https://duckandwaffle.com/about-us

Plan to do something free and outside the first day. DH was determined to visit a ticketed sight the first day. DS2 and I hit the wall in the middle of touring and spent an hour moving from bench to bench while DH and DS1 carried on. It would have been nice to be able to find something active to do to get us over the hump.
    Last edited by jgenie; 01-24-2018 at 03:12 AM.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I took DD (14) to London for a few days last summer and she couldn't get enough of the Covent Garden area. She loved wandering around there and poking into shops and cafes. Seconding the PP who said Churchill War Rooms for sure. DD loved the British Museum for the Egyptian and Greek stuff (big Percy Jackson/Kane Chronicles fan). We didn't plan for the HP studio tour (we saw HP and the Cursed Child and went to King's Cross for Platform 9 3/4) and that was a mistake. She would have LOVED that. And definitely leave time to wander. We walked and walked and walked. St. James Park just lounging in the steamer chairs, Nottinghill and Portobello Road, the Embankment Area along the river - DD just soaked it all up. We did less sights and more just experiencing London and she really fell in love with the city (we also saw a show every night as she is a theater kid).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast