jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Williams Sonoma AG classes: age limit?

Has anyone been to a Williams Sonoma American Girl cooking class? I just called our local store and the next event is booked, but he also said that the classes are geared toward ages 8 and up. DD1 will be 7 in a few months. I know she would love it! She's been hooked on the "Just Add Magic" show on Amazon Prime and she adores her AG dolls. Do you think she's too young? Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, you know your child best, but a course designed for 8+ might have some skill and behavior expectations that a just-turned 7-year-old might not be able to meet.

Does she already help you in the kitchen? Is she a competent reader? Can she read fractions? Would you let her handle a knife on her own?

Are you near a Sur La Table? Their kids' classes often have options more appropriate for the younger-than-8 crowd.

Mine will be 8 and the only thing she really struggles with is fractions, but we've been working together in the kitchen since she was a toddler. And she's had her own knife since she was 4. I know she would adore an AG cooking class, but she's also a little immature for her age (executive function problems!) so we've been cautious about allowing her to participate in classes like this. (Also, our W-S store doesn't really have a classroom area like the SLT does, so I feel less confident that she'd be able to manage the skills & behavior there than SLT.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Well, you know your child best, but a course designed for 8+ might have some skill and behavior expectations that a just-turned 7-year-old might not be able to meet.

Does she already help you in the kitchen? Is she a competent reader? Can she read fractions? Would you let her handle a knife on her own?

Are you near a Sur La Table? Their kids' classes often have options more appropriate for the younger-than-8 crowd.

Mine will be 8 and the only thing she really struggles with is fractions, but we've been working together in the kitchen since she was a toddler. And she's had her own knife since she was 4. I know she would adore an AG cooking class, but she's also a little immature for her age (executive function problems!) so we've been cautious about allowing her to participate in classes like this. (Also, our W-S store doesn't really have a classroom area like the SLT does, so I feel less confident that she'd be able to manage the skills & behavior there than SLT.)
    These are all excellent points I hadn't considered, thank you. I guess I had assumed the classes relied heavily on parental supervision or were pre-measured, so that it was just a matter of simple assembly. My daughter loves making things and is great at following instructions. We were so bummed when Lowe's discontinued their kid building program. Unfortunately, we don't have a Sur La Table nearby. Sounds like that would have been a great option for us!
    Jennifer

Home Depot offers a similar building program. I don't know if they do it as often as Lowe's did, but you could check the website.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD did a few classes at Williams Sonoma, and the kids are expected to do the work with a bit of assistance from the instructor. The parents are asked to step back and browse around the store while the class goes on. No kitchen, but they do the class in the demo area if the store, at least at ours. She enjoyed it, but she was around 9yo at the time.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Home Depot offers a similar building program. I don't know if they do it as often as Lowe's did, but you could check the website.
    I stopped looking at them because their projects were unappealing, but I just checked next month's and it looks cute -- a Valentine Bean Bag Toss. I signed her up, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dhano923 View Post
    My DD did a few classes at Williams Sonoma, and the kids are expected to do the work with a bit of assistance from the instructor. The parents are asked to step back and browse around the store while the class goes on. No kitchen, but they do the class in the demo area if the store, at least at ours. She enjoyed it, but she was around 9yo at the time.
    This is very helpful to know, thank you!
    Jennifer