Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Can we discuss essential oils + science?

They have obviously become super popular in the last few years, but I had always classified them in the same category as homeopathic medicine and was pretty dismissive of them. I recently found out that my grandfather (in-law) used certain essential oils pretty extensively in the pharmacy he owned. He was a very educated and well respected pharmacist, and was overly cautious of the medications and things he was willing to sell/support. That being said, I am interested in learning more.

I know many BBBers use EO, so fill me in!
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following. I’ve started diffusing EOs recently just because I like the smell and thought hey if I get any health benefit too then great, bonus. I’m always curious on placebo effect and mind/body connection driving perceived results vs scientific proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I’m a big believer in the power of the mind and body to heal itself, and my take on all alternative medicine is that, if it’s not harmful, and it helps, great! Go for it! I doubt the scientifically verifiable healing qualities of most of these remedies, but I do believe they can help the body heal anyway because of the placebo effect or because of something about the way the mind and body work that we don’t yet understand. I’ve definitely seen alternative treatments succeed where Western ones have failed. My only concern about things like this is that many people turn to them instead of Western medicine when they really need scientifically verifiable medical care. That concerns me, because if there’s something that’s been proven to work and something that hasn’t, and you choose the thing that’s unproven while neglecting the proven remedy, that’s harmful. Also, many of these remedies are unregulated. They may be harmful without anyone knowing. Certainly people may be spending lots of money for something that won’t work as it says it will, but people spend money on lots of things they don’t need. Why not on something that might help them feel better? All of that is to say that I do believe these things can help, but I think they need to be used in a savvy way and not as a cure-all.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There are many PubMed studies on essential oils: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=essential+oil It would be better to search a particular oil and/or condition.

This is a recent study from Johns Hopkins re. essentials oils for Lyme disease: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29075628

I have seen positive result from EOs for me and my kids (all topical, bath, or diffused). Peppermint EO has really helped with headaches now that I cannot take NSAIDs.

There is variability in EO quality. Also, in vitro tests may not carry over to real life application.

I've really started using them because from using lavender oil it had such a calming effect on me. Haven't tried a lot more yet.

The people who I know are totally crazy gung ho about them and I am sure will turn to eo before anything have kids who are sick the most...and they are both super crazy about the Young Living cult specifically. (A few years ago one of them even posted that eo can be used for breast cancer!) Whenever they post about kids being sick, again, I always smirk a little to myself that thieves failed them once again.

I have tried essential oils but didn't really notice a lot of difference.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Years ago my DS was diagnosed with a cavity in a baby tooth. I’d heard about thieves oil and thought heck- why not try it? It was a PITA (have to apply a tiny amount, it kind of stings). But it worked! Dentist was very surprised. I’ve used it on maybe two more cavities on my kids and it’s worked every time. (We’ve also had good results from Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye routine.) Only one filling between the three kids. I know that’s just antidotal.

A friend of mine is a preschool teacher and mom, and she is exposed to all sorts of yucky germs. She had great results using EOs this past holiday season. I had the thieves and decided hey, why not give it a try? Bought a roller. Used it on my kids’ feet (mostly my girls as my son was not so cooperative) every time the kids’ classrooms had the stomach flu/regular flu roll through and we barely got sick. It didn’t keep us completely healthy- but it was like we’d get a touch of it rather than full blown flu. I don’t care if it’s all in our heads, if it keeps us healthy! It was the first Christmas season I didn’t get sick! (Though that also may be due to significantly increasing my meditation practice.)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Can we discuss essential oils + science?

I know so many moms of kids with significant issues who are told essential oils is the effective treatment. It makes me really sad to think of all the kids whose parents try these expensive smelly oils from MLMs , but who don’t have access to medical treatment or counseling
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I can't help much with the science but I received an essential oils kit for Mother's Day this past year and they have definitely won me over. It does not replace modern medicine by any means but does give a natural alternative to popping a Tylenol, Pepcid, etc. I have autoimmune issues and when my prescription for inflammation stopped working I was desperate to find something and oils worked for me. I still take my other autoimmune medicine. They have also helped me get off anti anxiety meds. They've helped my fair skinned babes with eczema. It even speed up the process of getting rid of molluscum in my youngest. My house smells great without having to burn candles, etc. There is tons of research online and great books out there. Research the oils you choose to be sure they are real oils. Most of the MLM companies that sell them will give you samples which is what I did because I was super leary of them at first. Both of the samples I received worked well so I decided it was worth a try.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by oneontheway View Post
    I can't help much with the science but I received an essential oils kit for Mother's Day this past year and they have definitely won me over. It does not replace modern medicine by any means but does give a natural alternative to popping a Tylenol, Pepcid, etc. I have autoimmune issues and when my prescription for inflammation stopped working I was desperate to find something and oils worked for me. I still take my other autoimmune medicine. They have also helped me get off anti anxiety meds. They've helped my fair skinned babes with eczema. It even speed up the process of getting rid of molluscum in my youngest. My house smells great without having to burn candles, etc. There is tons of research online and great books out there. Research the oils you choose to be sure they are real oils. Most of the MLM companies that sell them will give you samples which is what I did because I was super leary of them at first. Both of the samples I received worked well so I decided it was worth a try.
    Can you tell me what you use for auto-immune disease? I am looking for something for a dear relative who was recently diagnosed with psoriasis. If you would rather, please PM me. Thanks so much!
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast