Default The planner in me is SCREAMING

I'm trying to have as much empathy as possible for our church's youth director, but the lack of planning and communication is truly painful. All 8th graders are supposed to be at a required retreat tonight from 3:30 to 9:00 pm

This is a one time event. A team that travels the country is putting on the retreat, so they don't have a lot of control on the schedule. They gave us 6 months notice about the date. I am fine with all of that. I juggled things in our calendar and will get DS there.

DS1 dismisses school at 3:10. I pick up younger siblings at 3:40.

They have told us at least a dozen times in the past three weeks that students MUST be there the ENTIRE time and ON time.

7:01 this morning - text reminding us to be prompt and early and stay the entire time

2:41 this afternoon - text saying to NOT come until 3:30 because there will be congestion in the parking lot because of parish school dismissal traffic.

ARGH!!!!!! Notice people. The dismissal times are consistent for all the schools involved all year long. I cannot make alternate plans at 2:41 for 3:40 younger sibling pick-up.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ooh. I get it. That would be so frustrating. I'm a planner and those kinds of things thrown at me last minute make me crazy.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would have just called the younger sibs’ school and ask that they wait in the office until you could get there. Chances are it would be before the office staff left for the day, right? I’ve had to do this in the past...the staff appreciates the call instead of waiting outside with kids who are wondering where I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It never ceases to amaze me how often organizers don’t think through all the details in advance. I have great sympathy when they are volunteers, but so often it is actually someone’s job.

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    I would have just called the younger sibs’ school and ask that they wait in the office until you could get there. Chances are it would be before the office staff left for the day, right?
    This would go over like a lead balloon at our school.

OP, I would have been seriously annoyed too. How many people actually got that email less than an hour before the event?
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 01-23-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am totally NOT a planner and this would have annoyed me to no end!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Thanks. All I kept thinking is the standard "lack of planning on your part does not make MY emergency."

I stuck with my very tight time frame and made the original plan work. Dropped DS1 off at 3:25 and made it back to pick up my younger ones just in time.

If I truly had an emergency, I would call people I know who are my back-ups for school pick-up. But I am not going to take advantage of my friends and possibly mess up their right after school craziness because no one thought of dismissal issues before the day of.