Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Educators who can't spell

DD's school principal sent an email congratulating a staff member. In the email, principal mentions staff member's role as the "on-sight Athletic Director".

What kind of example is this for the students?

I'm having difficulty ignoring this and not mocking the principal in front of DD, which makes me feel like a terrible person. Principal is new this year and this is not the first frustrating written communication. I miss our old principal.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This makes me crazy too. I see it all the time. I know some are honest typos but feel everyone should be proofreading. DS brought something home that needed to be signed from his AGP teacher that had a grammatical error. DH corrected it! I had to send it back and she never said anything but maybe she is more careful now.

ALL THE TIME!

I'll read over it in quick e-mails from a teacher. I'm embarrassed when I look back at some of my posts/e-mails.

But yes, there have been many all school newsletter and flyers that I know had to be seen by at least two people before being sent home.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dh and I laughed ourselves silly just last week about this. Ds's honors 10th grade English teacher sent an assignment home and stressed how "REALY" important was. She bolded and wrote in all caps just that one word!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Very timely! I recently saw a FB link to DGDs' school newsletter — the link mentioned that local "pubic radio" had a nice story about a school project The actual newsletter was fine but the FB post wasn’t...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Would it be horrible to reach out to the principal about something like this? Maybe to suggest she recruit a proofreader for this sort of email? Maybe even a small group of students, though I'm not sure many middle schoolers would sign on for that.

All her emails are sent from a no-reply address, so I can't respond directly.

jal is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

It might not be a simply matter of just needing to proof-reading, because I'm feeling pretty bad right now...

I'm an intelligent person... I've earned two degrees in Engineering... and I can't figure out what is wrong with "on-sight Athletic Director".

{oh wait... as I typed the words, now I see it... it should be "on-site" rather than "on-sight"... right?}

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ha - I couldn't either (so much for my ivy league degree!), but I figured it was the period outside of the quotes instead of inside... but I'm sure you're right about sight...
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I know this is a bitching post, so feel free to ignore. I wouldn’t judge this principal on this one, tiny mistake. Things happen. Last year, I posted about how I had used then/than incorrectly in an email to DD’s teacher. Even though I checked my email before I sent it, I didn’t catch it until she responded. I felt like an idiot and I would hate to think she thought I was bad example for DD or her classmates (I volunteered in the classroom) because of a simple mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    DD's school principal sent an email congratulating a staff member. In the email, principal mentions staff member's role as the "on-sight Athletic Director".

What kind of example is this for the students?
    I would cringe, too. I've actually cringed often with my district.

And I hate the confusion folks have between "sight"/"site" and "peak"/"peek" ... didn't they study homophones when they were children?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast