Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Tell Me About Disney WORLD in July (Update in #37)

We are in the early planning stages for a Disney WORLD vacation sometime this summer.

I'm not thrilled with the timing, but we're effectively going with extended family to celebrate my in-laws' 50th anniversary and my niece's 16th birthday.

I don't do well with heat and humidity is an asthma attack waiting to happen, but I'll be the one schlepping all over the park(s) with DD to ride non-looping roller coasters and do whatever. I'm already looking at sun hats for DD and me; we have a great selection of string backpacks (not my first choice for schlepping heavy stuff, but good enough for my wallet and cell phone.)

What do I need to know about managing my discomfort with heat? Tips on dressing, sunscreen, schlepping bags, bag lockers/locker rentals, etc., are appreciated.

I'm already planning to get new sneakers, but will probably need more shorts or skorts. (I may absolutely hate my legs, but I hate capri pants more.) What else do I need to start asking/pre-shopping for?
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 02-20-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added an update
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Take moleskin or blister bandaids if your feet sweat a lot and consider carrying a pair of dry socks. I found Teva Tirra sandals more comfortable than sneakers in the heat.

I'd plan to get into the park at rope drop and would try to hit shaded/air conditioned attractions in the afternoon or head back to the hotel to rest and cool down, especially if you're coming back forfireworks in the evening.

You might try a cooling towel but I found them to be more trouble than they're worth.

Have fun! Your DD is at a great age where there's still a lot of magic and she's old enough to really enjoy the rides and shows.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm gearing up for a similar trip to WDW with extended family in May. Do you exercise? If not, even just starting with daily walks of 20 mins and Inc from there will REALLY help. Take your walks in the heat, if possible, so your body can acclimate. Supportive shoes are a must, but wear them a few weeks before the trip to break them in. While at the parks, hydrate hydrate hydrate. Id look at getting a small but supportive backpack to carry water and essentials.

Im planning to use the LLBean stowaway day pack.

https://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc...74&csp=a#86674

Sun hat, sun glasses, light weight clothing and sunscreen of course.

We are also planning to get to the park early, stay through lunch and then head back to the hotel for rest and pool time in the afternoon. We will meet up with family for dinner or parks later on.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Take moleskin or blister bandaids if your feet sweat a lot and consider carrying a pair of dry socks. I found Teva Tirra sandals more comfortable than sneakers in the heat.
    Good idea on the sandals. I also find them more comfortable in the heat. I like to get my feet wet in the splash parks and that tends to help me stay cool.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely wear sandals! I've had great luck with Merrell sandals and with Fit Flops. They are supportive enough for a very full day at the parks. What about a cute skirt or skort of some kind? (I also don't like my legs--I'm just too pale!) I prepare by using self-tanner and finding the perfect length shorts or skirt. It really is much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    I'm gearing up for a similar trip to WDW with extended family in May. Do you exercise? If not, even just starting with daily walks of 20 mins and Inc from there will REALLY help. Take your walks in the heat, if possible, so your body can acclimate. Supportive shoes are a must, but wear them a few weeks before the trip to break them in. While at the parks, hydrate hydrate hydrate.....
    I'm kind of a lazy-girl exerciser right now - walking DD to/from the bus stop (less than a mile per day), stairs (my house is 3 levels), and parking at the rear of the parking lot to get extra steps in when out shopping - but I'm not in anything resembling "good shape."

HOWEVER, I can do 10-11 miles in the cold, no problem. It's really the heat I'm worried about - my asthma acts up and I feel like I weigh 10,000 lbs in the heat. (And don't get me started on humidity. I hate humidity.)

It won't get warm here for another couple of months.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post

I'd plan to get into the park at rope drop and would try to hit shaded/air conditioned attractions in the afternoon or head back to the hotel to rest and cool down, especially if you're coming back forfireworks in the evening.

You might try a cooling towel but I found them to be more trouble than they're worth.

Have fun! Your DD is at a great age where there's still a lot of magic and she's old enough to really enjoy the rides and shows.
    I haven't found a good, supportive, and non-blistery sandal that likes my foot for multi-day mileage. Yet.

After having done multi-day charity walks (Avon39), I find that I'm better off in sneakers with wicking socks.

Cooling towels are a pain in the keister.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Definitely wear sandals! I've had great luck with Merrell sandals and with Fit Flops. They are supportive enough for a very full day at the parks. What about a cute skirt or skort of some kind? (I also don't like my legs--I'm just too pale!) I prepare by using self-tanner and finding the perfect length shorts or skirt. It really is much more comfortable.
    I can't wear either of those brands - they don't come in wide. (Also, I hate anything between my toes. HATE. I wear flip-flops for the shower at the beach only.)

Finding shorts, skorts, or skirts that are the perfect length is going to take a while - I have long, heavy legs, with heavy hips & thighs, so it's HARD finding something that doesn't make me feel like 10lbs of dirt in 5lb bag, and it's why I'm starting now.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

I went to Disney end of May into early June 4 years ago with DS1 celebrating his 3rd bday and 4 months old DS2.

I’m like you with heat and humidity. What saved me is those little fans, tons of water and Athelea skort. Try them on, I was heavier then with thighs I hated and shorts is a big no no for me. But those skorts were so forgiving on me and lightweight!

I’m not a sneaker girl during the summer at all. Only for running. But walking about in high heat and humidity, I need flip flops or scandals. I alternate between the sketchers fit flops which were surprisely so supportive and the ortho Vonic scandals. Literally saved my feet that week from miles of walking.

What we did; show up for rope rope, do our rides and take frequent breaks. I was feeding DS2 so those nursing stations with shades worked for me, we usually head back to on site resort around 1 for lunch by the pool & a dip then nap in room. By 5 we usually go to downtown Disney, Epcot (walking distance for us from our hotel) get dinner and head back by 8-830. That break from hottest part of day really did the trick for our family and elderly in laws too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    I'm gearing up for a similar trip to WDW with extended family in May. Do you exercise? If not, even just starting with daily walks of 20 mins and Inc from there will REALLY help. Take your walks in the heat, if possible, so your body can acclimate. Supportive shoes are a must, but wear them a few weeks before the trip to break them in. While at the parks, hydrate hydrate hydrate. Id look at getting a small but supportive backpack to carry water and essentials.

Im planning to use the LLBean stowaway day pack.

https://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc...74&csp=a#86674

Sun hat, sun glasses, light weight clothing and sunscreen of course.

We are also planning to get to the park early, stay through lunch and then head back to the hotel for rest and pool time in the afternoon. We will meet up with family for dinner or parks later on.
    I use this pack for theme parks and it works great!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast