Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post

I’m like you with heat and humidity. What saved me is those little fans, tons of water and Athelea skort. Try them on, I was heavier then with thighs I hated and shorts is a big no no for me. But those skorts were so forgiving on me and lightweight!

I’m not a sneaker girl during the summer at all. Only for running. But walking about in high heat and humidity, I need flip flops or scandals. I alternate between the sketchers fit flops which were surprisely so supportive and the ortho Vonic scandals. Literally saved my feet that week from miles of walking.

I had Athleta skorts for forever. I love them, but DH b!tches about them. (I think he should shut it.)

Skechers don't run wide enough for my foot.

I have a pair of Vionic flip-flops that I wore a total of once for a few miles on the boardwalk when we were down the shore a couple years ago.

They gave me blisters across the top of my foot and on my little toe. I know they get a lot of love here, but they just don't work for me.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Please don’t dig in regarding clothes. Like we have said before, just try a bunch on. Buy from Nordstrom or REI so if they suck then you can return. All websites will let you filter by width. There are a million wide sandals in the world. Sandals are 100% the way to go on a muggy summer day. You’ll want multiple pairs of shoes in your suitcase too. If one starts to irritate spots, odds are another pair. Take your beloved sneakers but listen to us wise ladies and take sandals too.
    If you can stay onsite for ease of daytime breaks, it’s the way to go. Otherwise, shows, eat, shop mid-day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No advice on clothes, etc, but I sympathize with the heat/humidity and its effects on asthma. We visit relatives in Georgia a couple of times a year, and it's brutal on my lungs in the summer.

So, my recommendation would be talking to your pulmonologist ahead of the trip and maybe revisiting your prescriptions. If you aren't taking a daily maintenance med, consider it. I've used Advair in the past (pricey) and am now on Breo (amazing and cheap!). When I take these inhalers daily I have little need for my rescue inhaler, even in hot & humid weather.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do your best to tune your DH out. It’s not about him. It’s about you feeling comfortable and liking how you look. If he can’t be supportive, that’s on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm just curious... What did your dh not like about the skorts? And what did/does he like better?
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Fit-flops have several styles that are not thong sandals...they don't have to go between your toes.

I would never take a string backpack to walk around all day. A small cross body bag, or even a regular backpack are much more comfortable. I won't bother to suggest one, it's probably better if you just do a search for the features you want.

I don't mind heat. I've been to WDW in July. It was pretty bad even for me. If you're going to go and be miserable, why bother? I get it's for a celebration, but still, how celebratory are people going to feel if you're worried about collapsing the entire time?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

We went to WDW last May and I am OK with heat but it was pretty miserable, especially at Animal Kingdom, which is notoriously the hottest park.
    I have the widest feet on earth (they were already wide and then I got RA and the tendons loosened) and cannot wear any shoes that squeeze my feet because of RA. I alternated between FitFlops, Keens, and sneakers. Rotating shoes is key at Disney. You cannot overestimate the amount of walking. The FitFlops I have do not have a thing in the toes. This style without the bling: https://smile.amazon.com/FitFlop-Wom...fitflops+women

Another key item is monistat chafing relief: https://www.amazon.com/MONISTAT-Comp...000FKLKXQ?th=1
    all over your feet, under your boobs, between your legs - anywhere that has a potential to rub.

I agree with those above who say a string backpack will not work. You need to carry water bottles and that is going to get old quickly. See the other thread going on backpacks for travel.

Our usual strategy at Disney is to be there when the park opens, use Touring Plans app to work our way through the parks, and leave around 1:00. Sometimes we go back in the evening. On our last trip we ended up going to a water park almost every day.

If you are going to do this trip, one of 2 things needs to happen: 1) your DH acknowledges that this is a family trip that is going to cost money and gives you an adequate budget to prepare or 2) you start generating some income through something like mystery shopping or upwork that you can use for items your DH sees as discretionary.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Please don’t dig in regarding clothes. Like we have said before, just try a bunch on. Buy from Nordstrom or REI so if they suck then you can return. All websites will let you filter by width. There are a million wide sandals in the world. Sandals are 100% the way to go on a muggy summer day. You’ll want multiple pairs of shoes in your suitcase too. If one starts to irritate spots, odds are another pair. Take your beloved sneakers but listen to us wise ladies and take sandals too.
    If you can stay onsite for ease of daytime breaks, it’s the way to go. Otherwise, shows, eat, shop mid-day.

I'm not digging in about clothes, not yet. I just want to know what I should shop for.

But the shoes I'm a little less flexible about - I know DH is going to whine about HIS feet/back/knees so I want to be as comfortable as possible.

I just haven't found a sandal that I find comfortable for miles and miles of walking.

Yet.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post

I don't mind heat. I've been to WDW in July. It was pretty bad even for me. If you're going to go and be miserable, why bother? I get it's for a celebration, but still, how celebratory are people going to feel if you're worried about collapsing the entire time?
    If it were up to me, we'd go in November, but it isn't. It's up to my niece & her parents ... and my in-laws.

Right now, it's all theoretical anyway, so I might not have to deal. I need new summer clothes anyway, so I might as well shop/pre-shop as if I'm going to Disney.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    If it were up to me, we'd go in November, but it isn't. It's up to my niece & her parents ... and my in-laws.

Right now, it's all theoretical anyway, so I might not have to deal. I need new summer clothes anyway, so I might as well shop/pre-shop as if I'm going to Disney.
    Are they paying for your trip? If they’re not, then you get to vote on when it works best for your family. If I remember correctly there’s a lot of history there. My heart hurts for you when you post about your feelings not mattering. They DO matter because YOU matter!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast