icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Keep your sick kid home!!!

My child was recently diagnosed with the flu. She crossed the 24 hour fever free mark at 10pm last night. I still kept her home today to be extra safe, as she could still be contagious even post-fever and I figured, why rush it? The school seemed very grateful for that. Other childs friend was, according to Mom, sick starting on Sunday, had a fever as of 10pm Monday night. Assuming that she gave meds for a fever and meds last at least 6 hours, his start time to be fever free would be 4am today (so not fever free until 4am or so tomorrow). And then I got a text at 4pm today that he is all better and going to school tomorrow, wanna carpool? Um, no. You told me that your whole family has the flu, or at least flu-like symptoms. You told me he had a fever last night. He isn't the most hygienic kid I've ever seen. So, no, I don't want my kid riding in a car with you (who is also sick, per your text) and your allegedly-healthy-so-fast son. I think she is pushing him faster because it is picture day tomorrow and the school play is this week. I told my DH yesterday that she was going to do this. Pics can be made up and it would suck to miss the play, but sometimes you just have to think about others. Which she is not. And it's ticks me off! Oh, and she is a SAHM, so no excuses about childcare. But I don't get sick days for my job, so if my kids get sick or I do, that is lost pay for me. Nevermind I was almost hospitalized from the flu several years ago, it hits me hard. So frustrated with people taking their sick children all over because they are bored at home or it's just one stop or whatever, not taking into consideration how it might affect other people. This flu season is bad! This strain is harsh! Sometimes society just seems so damn selfish...

I agree! My sister said one of the moms at drop off asked her if she had kids tylenol to give to her daughter (7) because she was complaining about feeling achey and not very well. Seriously?!?! Don’t go to school!
    Same 24 rule goes for vomiting. If your kid puked last night, they cannot go to school the next day!!!!! (Yes, there are exceptions when it’s clear the puking wasn’t from an illness.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)