Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alaska

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Alaska

Thinking of going to Alaska in June. We’re looking at cruises out of Seattle or fly to Anchorage and do day trips. We’ve never been on a cruise, and don’t think we’re cruise people, but have always said we could see doing it for Alaska.

It’ll be the 3 of us, DS is 13. If did cruise, do we need to do 2 rooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We booked our Alaska cruise not too long ago. We are doing Princess out of Vancouver and sailing into Whittier. Then we have 4 days to explore Alaska before going home. With 3 of you, you only need one room. Two rooms will be really expensive! We booked through Costco. We’ve never done a cruise before (except when I was a kid), but I think it’s an easy good way to see Alaska.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are cruising Alaska this August. On a cruise, you can see a lot, but not the interior like Denali, which you would see on a land trip. If you have the time, do both, with a one way cruise north then some time near Anchorage
    mom to Billy 12/07

It depends on your tolerance for being in a small room. I cruised to Alaska when I was in my late 20s with my parents and we shared a room. We had a room where there was a curtain between the main bed and the sofa bed. It was fine for us. If you go on YouTube and search the ship name and room type there will probably be a video tour that will give you a better idea of the actual size and layout of the room!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't cruised in a long time, and not since having kids, but I thought they were getting better at having options for families.

Alaska is so big. I think there's so much you'd be unable to do via day trips from Anchorage.

For our honeymoon, we did a land/sea package. We cruised from Vancouver to Seward, then bussed to Anchorage where we caught a flight to Fairbanks. We took the train from Fairbanks back down to Anchorage stopping in Denali along the way. Only part we didn't like was Fairbanks. It was a hole with little to do IMHO. Still the concept of flying to the interior and working you way back via train was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Thanks everyone. We’re looking into it all, but think we may have left it too late for this year. We’ll see

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did the inner passage cruise a few years ago and everyone loved it (us, 3 kids who were 3.5, 7, and 9 at the time, 2 sets of Grandparents). We did one room for the 5 of us at that time but one of our boys would go to the grandparents for the night most nights. We just weren't in the room much and the Disney room with 5 beds was OK, but I wouldn't do it again. We did get 2 rooms on our other cruise with the kids. For 3 of you, one room should be fine.

I would love to go to Anchorage and Denali sometime, so if you did the cruise along with that, which I know exists, that would probably be awesome.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

baymom is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We're doing an inner passage cruise from Seattle on the Norwegian Bliss in August with my parents and brother's family. It has it's maiden voyage in May of this year and looks really incredible. We've only ever been on 2 other cruises (one before the kids were born from Barcelona to Istanbul (Grand Princess) and the second when the kids were little to Alaska (Norwegian Sun)) and while they are convenient and fun, I don't think it's the best way to really see a place. We're doing Alaska again, because my brother and SIL really wanted to go there and a cruise because it's an easy way for our whole family to travel and have something fun for all of us. My bother's kids are 3 and 6 and mine are 11 & 13....so a wide age gap to please. My Dad made all the arrangements and got us mini-suites because they would fit families of 4. We have 3 rooms in a row, so that'll be really fun.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

When I visited Alaska 20 years ago, I took a ferry around the inside passage. It was great. I timed my cities to match when the cruise ships were not there. The cruise ships are so big, they really change the feel of the towns. Look into that and see if you can piece together a trip. No, it's not a cruise with all the entertainment that comes with it, but it's still fun and you do get to see quite a bit. You can stay a night or 2 in the towns as well and really see more of Alaska.

I took the train from Anchorage to Denali and that worked really well. I did rent a car for a few days in Anchorage to see Seward and Valdez, etc.
    Kris

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

We have tossed around the idea as well. But DS is just about 2.5. I am concerned that he is too young. Anyone have any BTDT for an Alaskan cruise with a little one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast