jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Questions for seasoned bakers who weigh their ingredients

How do you put in the correct amounts without going over? I understand that you zero out the scale between ingredients but how do you keep from going over? Do you scoop out the measured amount and then add slowly to the scale? It seems like it would take longer to weigh ingredients rather than just using measuring cups. Please share any tips or tricks you have for a beginner. TIA

They probably use mise en place.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes I scoop out and gradually add. It might take a few extra second but not a lot of extra time.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yeah, scoop and then gradually add. It takes a couple extra seconds but I figure I make up for it in fewer dishes afterwards since it allows me to skip the measuring cups for some ingredients.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I usually put the mixing bowl with the sifter on top of my scale then turn it on and measure out the flour first. If I go over a bit, I use a teaspoon and remove a little bit at a time until I get the right weight.
    DS 2/09

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    I usually put the mixing bowl with the sifter on top of my scale then turn it on and measure out the flour first. If I go over a bit, I use a teaspoon and remove a little bit at a time until I get the right weight.
    this is what i do unless is is a small amount of something (yeast, salt) then I use a bowl. You do get a better feel for weighing after a few recipes of doing it this way
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, add a little bit at a time. Once you've done it a few times and get a sense of how dense your ingredients are it goes faster. I still use teaspoons for things like salt/yeast/baking powder/spices. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/w...-mistakes.html

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Yes, add a little bit at a time. Once you've done it a few times and get a sense of how dense your ingredients are it goes faster. I still use teaspoons for things like salt/yeast/baking powder/spices. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/w...-mistakes.html
    Thanks for posting, I might go back to spoon measuring for yeast! I do use spoons for salt and other stuff.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07