WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default cute modest clothes for 12yo for spring/summer

DD has swimmer arms/shoulders, so anything flutter sleeve/cap sleeve annoys her. She would love some new tops, longer shorts, and casual dresses, but we're having trouble finding great stuff for middle-schoolers.

Where does your middle schooler shop?

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have found cute dresses at Dillard's. Sizes are hit or miss, so try on lots. She also likes Gap and crew cuts, and we definite ly look for sales.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    DD has swimmer arms/shoulders, so anything flutter sleeve/cap sleeve annoys her. She would love some new tops, longer shorts, and casual dresses, but we're having trouble finding great stuff for middle-schoolers.

Where does your middle schooler shop?
    My DD turns 12 next month and she’s also a swimmer and has very muscular shoulders (there’s no doubt she’s built to be a swimmer.). Now she’s shopping mostly at Old Navy and Target in the women’s section. Short sleeves are challenging, so she likes to layer tank tops. For dresses, she’s had luck with ON maxi dresses in the girls section (14 size). She just can’t really do any girls stuff with shirt sleeves because of her shoulders/arms, so she does a lot of tanks. For shorts, we’ve actually bought a lot at Costco, girls size since she’s still narrow in the bottom. She wears a lot of her swim t-shirts (she has some super cute ones...gryffindor swim team, Cl element square with caption “I’m in my element.).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Following! My DD mostly wears Peek or Target tshirts and Hanna jersey/2-pocket shorts. She's now 5 ft 3" but I don't want to shop in the women's and junior section for her! I'm excited that Tea Collection has started a tween line with sizes up to 16 - I'll be getting her some things there once they go on sale. They still haven't released their summer line. For swim wear she has Athleta Girl tankinis and Justice one-piece.

for Sandy Hook

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DD is a gymnast and a swim team friend of hers who has a similar strong-shoulder/arm build recommended Hollister to us. We were pleasantly surprised to find cute tops and sweatshirts that are stylish and comfy. Not much luck on the shorts, though.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

WtG - bumping here because Tea Collection has released their tween line (and I have a 15% off and FS code if you want it!).

for Sandy Hook

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

in addition to all that, we have a school dress code that is killing us trying to keep DD in shorts that are the appropriate length. She is tall with a tiny waist and a decent booty, so most things that are long enough to meet the dress code the waist is gigantic. We've had some luck with the bermuda length adjustable waist shorts at Justice in the past, but there is sooooo much bunching with cinching it all the way in. DD is hoping something like this fits this year, we found some at costco that worked great but that's hit/miss:

https://www.shopjustice.com/knit-wai...3896#color/605

Aeropostale has Bermuda length denim shorts. They start at size 000, which is like a girls 12. I got Dd (12) a few pairs in 00 (like girls 14)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Aeropostale has Bermuda length denim shorts. They start at size 000, which is like a girls 12. I got Dd (12) a few pairs in 00 (like girls 14)
    thank you! we'll check that out!