jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Disney Cruise with peanut allergy - any BTDT?

DS2 has a peanut allergy. I’m wondering how much it will impact us on a cruise. For instance, if we go to a snack bar I won’t buy DS2 scooped ice cream if they have peanuts as a topping choice or an ingredient in one of the other ice creams. I’ll buy him a packaged ice cream instead. We don’t eat at Chinese or Thai restaurants because of the peanuts. I’m wondering if I’ll be constantly steering DS2 away from things for fear of cross contamination. Anyone BTDT? TIA

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't been but I'm in a couple Disney FA groups and when the question comes up I consistently hear that Disney cruises are even better than Disney parks with FAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister took her kids on their first Disney Cruise in 2017 and both kids have multiple FA’s - treenuts, coconut, unbaked eggs and shellfish. She is pretty meticulous about what and where they eat in general. She raved and raved about the quality of the food (she participates and places in national cooking contests for home chefs) AND the steps taken to make sure everyone was fed and safe. They loved it so much, they are going again in 2019. One of the things she noted was that their serving staff followed them from restaurant to restaurant each night so that they were familiar with the intricacies of what each child could and couldn’t have.

I can ask her for more specifics if no one else chimes in but it may take a day or two as she now has a newborn too.
    DS 2014

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have a FA family, but can agree with Zukini, that your wait staff is with you every night, so they will make sure your food is prepared safely. The head water or Maitre D' also usually brings the next nights menu to you, so you can choose ahead of time and they can prepare your choice with whatever modifications may be needed.
    As for the snack bar and ice cream, it is self serve soft serve and I don't recall if there were ever nuts as a topping option (I didn't eat much, but my son loved it) There is also pool deck pizza and hot dogs/hamburgers and sandwiches where you would have to ask, but likely peanut allergy would not be a problem. I doubt they cook their fries in peanut oil, but you can easily check that. They sell packaged snacks near the movie theater on movie nights, so you can check the packaging on anything you may want to purchase.
    mom to Billy 12/07