barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Need Destination ideas!

A friend that lives in Houston and I want to plan a little weekend trip. She wants to come east, so I need to go west (of TN where I am located). Preferably drivable for us both, but I may fly...it's hard to fit into a weekend though. Anyway, we've thrown out New Orleans, anywhere in AL, possibly even FL.

I've been to New Orleans twice, FL would be quite a drive for me. what's in Alabama? I googled but didn't come up w/ much! Arkansas? She's from MS and didn't suggest it so I guess that's out b/c she's not interested. Nashville would be too far for her to drive, else that would be perfect. She threw out Memphis, but too far for me, and I'm not really interested based on all I've heard about it. Oh - I thought of Hot Springs but she's been there a few times, too.

Any suggestions?
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm trying to figure out where in TN you are if New Orleans is okay, but Memphis is too far!

What about just picking a bigger city and figuring out if there is a nice hotel to hang out at? Maybe walking distance to a couple restaurants and a museum? Birmingham?

Or Gulf Shores AL? I've not been there, but lots of people I know love it!
    Kris

I've also heard a couple raves this month for Gulf Shores, AL. It was specifically mentioned as a cheaper alternative to the Gulf Coast of Florida for a large group. The things that were mentioned for activities were Gulf state Park especially wooden bridge trail, Gulf Coast Zoo, Blue Angels and lots more in Pensacola (1 hour away), stuff in Mobile Al (1 hour away), alabamaseaturtles.com, Lulu's for food and fun and a ropes course (???), and The Hangout for music and food and fun.

I have never been anywhere on the Gulf Coast, but got interested after reading some raves.

I just saw that Dauphin Island is very nearby Gulf Shores. I've heard that name mentioned recently as a site of fun Girl Scout activities, although I know no more than that.

Much less frivolous topics, for other destinations in the region you are talking about, I'd like the see the Civil Rights Monument designed by Maya Lin in Birmingham, AL and the Whitney Plantation Museum about slavery in Edgard, LA.
    Last edited by american_mama; 02-28-2018 at 02:27 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9