Thread: british airways

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default british airways

So I just booked flights and in order for me to choose my seat, they want me to pay another $35 EACH! This is ridiculous. Has anyone else had any problems getting the airlines to rearrange so a family can sit together?...unless a perfect stranger wants to listen to my kids ask "are we there yet" for 6 hours....

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Unfortunately this is the way travel is these days on many airlines. You need to pay for a seat assignment if you want to be with your kids or in a certain seat. It is very difficult to get people to move seats when they may have paid for a certain seat. Yes, flight attendants or gate agents in the past would have tried to arrange seats so kids are not alone but they can’t do that now if it means asking someone to move who has paid for their seat assignment. The only way to ensure you are not separated is to pay for the seat assignment.

We travel international quite often and yes now a lot of airlines need you to pay extra for a seat. However for international travel I have never had a problem being assigned next to my children, since we are there atleast 2.5 hours before for checking in lugguage. My kids don't mind sitting next to strangers and quite enjoy it and I can't imagine anyone wanting to sit next to them. Some airlines also let you get free check-in 24/36 hours before if you are enrolled in their mileage program.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I found on the website that kids <12 will definitely be seated next to one of the adults/parents in our party. It's a crapshoot for our teenager but he'll be fine on his own. But boy, do they nickel and dime you everywhere now!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lil_acorn View Post
    I found on the website that kids <12 will definitely be seated next to one of the adults/parents in our party. It's a crapshoot for our teenager but he'll be fine on his own. But boy, do they nickel and dime you everywhere now!
    Yep. BA has been doing it for a while. We have never had a problem. My in laws haven’t either when they fly just the two of them. It is annoying. We choose to fly BA or delta internationally if we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I found this all the time on domestic flights in the US. My daughter was 6 months old in a car seat and they would have our seats not together. It was the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I hate it and was not happy at all when BA started doing it years ago. Unfortunately, they are still a better option most times and better flying experience. We have had luck booking twice through Delta for a BA flight when they code shared and were able to have assigned seats and no fee. It worked two times - last time a year and few months ago. We also rarely fly coach internationally so the fee doesn’t apply for business class, or didn’t the last time we booked. But I was not happy when hit with it. And don’t count on people switching seats with you. People have paid their own fee to sit where they want and don’t want to even switch equivalent seats let alone for the free seat (that will be less desirable) that you booked. I’ve been on flights several times now, to London and Maui respectively, where people refused to move so families could sit together. It is tough but if want to be guaranteed seating, pay it and write them a letter requesting a credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk