Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like to be somewhat spontaneous, and I also like getting the locals ideas as we tend to avoid real touristy places. I like using reddit and searching the city forums.

Thanks for all of these! This is really helpful. I am going to use some of the resources you mentioned. And I like the idea of getting an overview through some of the tour guide books (I like Frommers) before going into the detail of Trip Advisor. Maybe that's where I have been stuck - seeing too many trees for the forest.

I'm very impressed by how much you all do in planning your vacation. Stantonhyde, your detailed review of what you do to prepare for a trip is amazing.

One question - Mom2binsd, by city forums, do you mean just FB groups? I don't know how to find city forums or what they are really.

Thank you, all!!!

No, I mean I follow the city specific reddit forums. They give me a sense of what the city is like, and where locals go. Most of them have a few threads that are searchable related to restaurants etc. Reddit is a different place though, it's very different from an online community like the BBB.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

What great tips! Subscribing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    No, I mean I follow the city specific reddit forums. They give me a sense of what the city is like, and where locals go. Most of them have a few threads that are searchable related to restaurants etc. Reddit is a different place though, it's very different from an online community like the BBB.

I just googled this. I *never* knew about Reddit city forums!!!! I am technologically reallllly behind apparently! Thank you!

Just a heads up, reddit content is very diverse, there are cultures within each and the content is member driven. You never know what you will read about. There are information sidebars that often contain more tourist type info. There are thousands of subreddits, some very NSFW, the relationship subreddit alone is an eye opener.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2