jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Favorite budget friendly restaurants in NYC

We’re having a few different families visit us this summer. I’m looking for budget friendly kid friendly restaurants we can try out while they are here. TIA

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My ds2 was totally content with the pizza shop around the corner from our hotel. Less than $5/ person. Bagel shops are a good choice too. We also liked ordering our Shake Shack from the UWS location via the app, strolling past the huge line and eating on the benches across the street by MNH (we’d have just walked into Central Park had there been no free benches).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD and I like Papaya King, but it's more of a counter/eat-standing-up kind of place ... and there are only 2 of them. (The one Uptown isn't far from the Met, so if that's on your list when you visit, maybe it's a good option?)

There are delis in abundance and bagel places galore.
    Pizza places are another great way to stretch a dollar - most sell slices or have daily specials. (I don't have any favorites for delis or bagels or pizza.)

If you like Mexican, I think Blockheads is pretty good (various locations), but its prices probably aren't what you might consider "budget-friendly" if you're not expecting the sticker shock of buying food in Manhattan!

For more, you might want to check out Mommy Poppins or Time Out's "NYC with kids" section for ratings/kid-friendliness chatter.

When DD and I are in NYC, we usually stick to food carts, stands, Krispy Kreme, and Starbucks - we're usually more concerned with speed than we are about cost.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I hesitate to reply since I have very little travel experience in NYC. But I ate at Margon, a Cuban sandwich shop in Times Square in May and it was excellent, cheap and huge portion. I got the Cubano sandwich platter (huge, little greasy and salty) which came with a big side of rice and beans and 2 or 3 fried chicken drumettes. Definitely feeds two adults. Their online menu says the cost is $10 which matches my sense. I also got the Morir Sanando, which was like an orange sherbert millkshake, also very rich, and maybe a side of plantains. Their online menu lists lots more items and dishes.

Although it is in Times Square, there did not appear to be many tourists there when I was there. It's kind of a hole in the wall. I've read people working in the area like to eat there.

The restaurant is very narrow, lunch counter style. Might be tough in a group. There were small tables you could sit at. But I think worth the narrow squeeze for the portions, price and taste.
    Last edited by american_mama; 03-07-2018 at 01:02 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

We like to go for dim sum and are always amazed at how little we pay for a huge amount of food. Our favorite in NYC is Oriental Garden. They have huge fish tanks that the kids like to look at. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._New_York.html

Other favorites are Shake Shack and Lombardi's.