Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This happens at concerts too! The worst is tight bench seating at the Hollywood Bowl. People move over a tiny bit and you have to squeeze into a seat a foot wide. Then others will come and have the actual tickets for the seats next door.

Anyways, sit in your own seats people!
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

I have never had this happen! But I'd be super annoyed if it did and I'd tell them to skedaddle (nicely). The "what does it really mater" guy would have pissed me off.

I did have this happen on an airplane. The person very snottily claimed they had the aisle. I pointed out the little diagram above the seat that shows someone standing next to the seat with my letter and asked if that person was walking on air. Finally the flight attendant overhead and booted him. I was a lot younger than I am now, I think he thought I'd just back down.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP, I TOTALLY get it. LOVE assigned seating and thankfully have not encountered what you did! On the other hand, lol, DH just accidentally sat in completely the wrong seats. It was pretty funny. Lately he's been SUPER flaky. Can you imagine just not reading accurately and plopping down in any old seats? He had taken DS1 to a packed showing of Black Panther. He was "kindly" asked to leave his seats but honestly he felt awful about it.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is annoying. You took the time to pay and reserve your seats ahead of time. Unless it was just an honest mistake, no one should be sitting in your seats. I like reserved seating a lot and pay for that convenience. I often times go to the theater at a not busy time and buy the tickets in person to avoid the online fees.

On a side note, isn't getting to your reserved seats after the lights have gone out super hard to maneuver? I would imagine it would be very tough to find the right row, not to mention the exact seats in the dark while having to step around people. Usually the rows are a little lit so you can see the row, but the seat numbers would be so hard to find in the dark? How do you manage that part? I'm totally curious!

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    On a side note, isn't getting to your reserved seats after the lights have gone out super hard to maneuver? I would imagine it would be very tough to find the right row, not to mention the exact seats in the dark while having to step around people. Usually the rows are a little lit so you can see the row, but the seat numbers would be so hard to find in the dark? How do you manage that part? I'm totally curious!
    That’s where my phones flashlight comes in handy! I use that all the time in restaurants looking at menus as some places lighting are so dim. Likewise looking for my assigned seating in the dark!

I did it recently to the opening night of Mrs. Grey with my girlfriends for 11pm showing. We all pulled out our phone flashlights to look for our assigned seating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not going to lie, the worry of this happening is one of the reasons I quit going to our closest theater when they switched to assigned seating. I'd rather go early to a regular theater & decide where I want to be (and be able to move if someone drenched in perfume sits beside me) than pay the extra fee to pick a seat early.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love assigned seating and we use it all the time. Thankfully that's never happened to us. If it did I wouldn't be happy!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love assigned seating, too. It means I have a tiny bit of leeway to get to the theater if I'm taking DD!

I have yet to encounter random people sitting in my/DD's seats (or DH's/my seats) but I'd definitely ask people to move if I had. And, yes, it matters!

If it's an option, I book specific seats in order to get the view of the screen that I want. It's really quite simple.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is interesting. I have never heard of a movie theater having assigned seats. I would be into it though! What happens if you buy your ticket at the theater? do you just pick out your seat on a screen?
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    This is interesting. I have never heard of a movie theater having assigned seats. I would be into it though! What happens if you buy your ticket at the theater? do you just pick out your seat on a screen?
    They have a seating map and show you what's left, same as if you were on your computer. They typically pick their idea of the "best" option as default and you can change them as you see fit. Similar to buying concert tickets, I guess.

I like it. Here's its only a few theaters - the new fancy ones that either have the crazy recliner seats or the one that serves restaurant food/drink. I will admit I like having adult drinks at the movies!

At these theaters the row/seat signage is pretty well lit, it is well-designed. I don't remember ever having issue finding our seats. My husband is an avid preview-watcher though, so we are always a few minutes early.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast