Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This is me. I remember years ago having an older boyfriend who told me that he hadn't slept through the night for ten years at that point. I was horrified and felt so badly for him - I couldn't imagine NOT putting my head down at night and then waking up again in the morning! Flash forward 20 years, and I can so relate with what that ex told me. I fall asleep very easily - no problem at all. Around 2 or 3 am, though, I am UP and cannot for the life of me go back to sleep. Sometimes I check the news online or read a book. I sometimes fall back asleep again, but at that point it's early morning and I only get 30 minutes to an hour before my kids are awake. The most frustrating this is that I am just always very very tired - I am always counting the hours before I can go back to sleep.

I try to use blue-eliminating glasses, but have lost them so should be them again. These are the type I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were some that were more posh when I bought these and probably better. I personally never really felt like they worked, but all the articles says it's a good idea...
    The one thing that I DO think I might have - and many people probably have if they wake up in the middle of the night - is sleep apnea. I need to get it confirmed, but I have a couple of friends who told me that they used to wake up in the middle of the night and, upon treatment for sleep apnea, stopped.

One last thing - when I have had a very full day and go to sleep 'late', which for me at this point is 11 pm or midnight, I have a better sleep and last more through the night. If I fall asleep early, like 9 pm, it's harder for my body to make it through the night - so maybe just making your husband stay up longer will make a difference.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I battled insomnia for years and tried everything. I finally had to resort to prescription sleep meds. My doctor was very good about only using when necessary. A few times a week at most so as to not form habit. It honestly safer then being super sleep deprived. I would wake at 2am and never go back to sleep.

Adding in addition to the different magnesium - sounds also like there may be adrenal fatigue as well? Jigsaw is a good supplement to help and would be needed to balance any add'l mag intake.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

This has happened to me the last 2 nights. I had a miserable day at work today, and I’m exhausted.

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That's what happens to me if I have caffeine later in the evening/at night. I realize most people are not that sensitive to it but wanted to throw it out there just in case. I try not to have caffeine later than ~5pm if I want to go to bed before 11 or so because otherwise I go to sleep easily but wake up a few hours in and am wide awake.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jenstring95 View Post
    That's what happens to me if I have caffeine later in the evening/at night. I realize most people are not that sensitive to it but wanted to throw it out there just in case. I try not to have caffeine later than ~5pm if I want to go to bed before 11 or so because otherwise I go to sleep easily but wake up a few hours in and am wide awake.
    I agree with this but I honestly try not to have caffeine after lunch time. I spent years avoiding caffeine as much as possible because I am so sensitive but in the past few years I have developed a habit of having a morning cup of tea. As long as it doesn’t creep into the afternoon, I am fine.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooks View Post
    I agree with this but I honestly try not to have caffeine after lunch time. I spent years avoiding caffeine as much as possible because I am so sensitive but in the past few years I have developed a habit of having a morning cup of tea. As long as it doesn’t creep into the afternoon, I am fine.
    Me, too. 11 am to 12 noon is the limit for tea or coffee - EVEN decaf, if you can believe it. No one believes me, but I swear it's true! I had a 'low' caffeine tea at 5 pm at Starbucks last night (they showed me a chart so I could choose which one to get, which is how I know it had caffeine, but not as much as other teas) and I was up until about a half hour after midnight... that might sound not horrible, but I usually fall asleep at 9 pm (or earlier if my kids fall asleep on time) (though get up at 2 or 3 am for many hours) so 12:30 am is very late for me...

No caffeine, at all, and Hylands Sleep Formula are the only things that help me to get some sleep.
    I have been using Ambien, off and on, for the last ten years, but am able to go right off it, and take the Hyland's SF.
    I don;t think I have had any since December, but am seeing my doctor on Monday, so will get a month's worth. It will last
    me about 3 months.
    I have adrenal, thyroid and auto-immune stuff going on, so my sleep is a mess if I don;t take something.

Hyland's is homeopathic, and works "almost" as well as the Ambien for me, without any side effects.
    Ambien knocks me out in 15 minutes, and
    keeps me asleep for about 5-6 hours, then I wake up, go to the bathroom, and go back to sleep for another hour or so.
    I wake up, and am super drowsy for at least an hour, sometimes two. Not ideal, but sometimes I just need to be knocked
    out, ya know. Hyland's does not knock me out, but allows about the amount of sleep, with no drowsiness in the morning, which is a great feeling.

Dosage for me: I take half of a 10 mg Ambien. Most people take a 10 mg pill. For me, it makes me feel drugged until mid day when I take
    a whole one (very, very rarely). Hyland's- it says to take 1-3 pills, 30-60 minutes before sleep. I take 4. I take it when I go to bed, and fall asleep, then
    it seems to keep me asleep. I'm super sensitive to prescription drugs and always take pediatric doses, but for homeopathic, I have to dose a little
    more.

Quote Originally Posted by solsister View Post
    No caffeine, at all, and Hylands Sleep Formula are the only things that help me to get some sleep.
    I have been using Ambien, off and on, for the last ten years, but am able to go right off it, and take the Hyland's SF.
    I don;t think I have had any since December, but am seeing my doctor on Monday, so will get a month's worth. It will last
    me about 3 months.
    I have adrenal, thyroid and auto-immune stuff going on, so my sleep is a mess if I don;t take something.

Hyland's is homeopathic, and works "almost" as well as the Ambien for me, without any side effects.
    Ambien knocks me out in 15 minutes, and
    keeps me asleep for about 5-6 hours, then I wake up, go to the bathroom, and go back to sleep for another hour or so.
    I wake up, and am super drowsy for at least an hour, sometimes two. Not ideal, but sometimes I just need to be knocked
    out, ya know. Hyland's does not knock me out, but allows about the amount of sleep, with no drowsiness in the morning, which is a great feeling.

Dosage for me: I take half of a 10 mg Ambien. Most people take a 10 mg pill. For me, it makes me feel drugged until mid day when I take
    a whole one (very, very rarely). Hyland's- it says to take 1-3 pills, 30-60 minutes before sleep. I take 4. I take it when I go to bed, and fall asleep, then
    it seems to keep me asleep. I'm super sensitive to prescription drugs and always take pediatric doses, but for homeopathic, I have to dose a little
    more.
    Not the OP, but thank you. I'll check out Hylands Sleep Formula. Just a question - why, if it's so good, do you sometimes switch to Ambien? I used to take Ambien years ago and then felt I was getting hooked to it (had to take every night as a crutch). I also never felt well rested afterwards. Yes, I had fallen asleep and stayed asleep, but I didn't feel well rested when I woke up.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by solsister View Post
    a whole one (very, very rarely).
    I hope not! The FDA revised the recommended doses in 2013.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast