anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default ISO Airbnb or other options in DC for our family + an adult

Hi all, we are planning a trip to DC in April with an adult family member. We would love to find an airbnb or similar in DC. Any recommendations?

We stayed at Embassy suites before but I think we would need 2 rooms (one for the 3rd adult) so that seems less desirable.

In terms of location, near the subway (metro?) would be ideal. We will be doing the museums and walking around so no itinerary as yet.

Thanks for any help!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It's a great option. Because we have family in the area, we tend to stay in Alexandria. We had an Airbnb in Potomac Yard this winter and it was lovely to have free parking and a ton of space all for less than the Embassy Suites we almost booked (half the price). Obviously we had to commute into DC for attractions but it was fine. I've done DC lots of ways and even when your hotel is right in DC, it rarely tends to be super convenient and we wind up just staying out all day anyway.

There are tons of Airbnb options in downtown DC though. Why not see what is available that you like and fit your needs and we can tell you if the area is good?

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

With that many people it's often cheaper to drive in and park than to pay Metro fees, if you have a car. There are apps that you can use to save on parking and find spots.

We really like staying in Tacoma Park, but it's out a bit further than most folks would like to stay.
    Last edited by ahisma; 03-15-2018 at 06:51 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

On our last trip, we debated Uber vs Metro vs parking. The prices were a wash as we didn’t own SmartCards so we’d have had to start from scratch. We used Parking Panda to reserve parking and it worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived in Cleveland Park in DC for several years and LOVED that neighborhood. It's super cute and has a bunch of fun DC things.
    I also would consider Woodley. Or Dupont Circle, but I don't know where in Dupont Circle - that's probably the most citified one.

Anyway, I love DC. Awhile back, I posted a 'visiting DC with children' thread - I can't remember if I posted it in this section or the lounge... there were some helpful tips if you can find it. It's a great and very kid friendly place. In many ways, I wish I raised my kids there - it's small enough and one-company-town enough to be a bit boring as a young adult after a few years - but for a family, it would be PERFECT. Also, the culture in DC is so lovely with regard to making friends. People are friendly and were very inclusive, and there were few enough 'main attractions' that you would end up seeing the same crowd and your friends everywhere you went. People seem to love it or hate it, but I loved living there.

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks all! I got a recommendation for a specific airbnb from a local mom so just ended up booking that without spending hours doing research on it!
    We love DC so I am looking forward to it. Going to read the other threads to see what new attractions we can hit this time.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I think Cleveland Park is lovely too but is at least a. 20 minute metro from there to most attractions. I would look at Foggy Bottom, Penn Quarter, Logan Circle and China Town, all of which will put you within walking distance of the Mall. Beyond that, DuPont Circle or Capital Hill. Metro has become extremely unreliable and car traffic in and out of city can be horrific, so I would go for walkable if at all possible.