Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Who has a Berkey Water Filter?

So, it's science project season and I usually try to keep our projects really simple (and cheap). This year, DD wanted to do her project about water safety, so we are testing different kinds of water. There's also a research paper and now that I've learned about all the stuff found in drinking water, the science project is about to cost as way more money because I'm convinced we need a good filter. The berkey is the one that really impresses me the most and I'm about to pull the trigger..... my biggest concern is the size and where I will put it. My questions about it are where do you keep yours, what size do you have and how often do you change the filter? If anyone has a particular table you put yours own please share! Thanks!!!

OH, and of course, please let me know if there are any deals on these!

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a recently installed RO filter under our sink with a 3 gallon reservoir.

We haven't changed any of the charcoal filters yet, but probably will soon. It tastes like bottled water. We love it!
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    We have a recently installed RO filter under our sink with a 3 gallon reservoir.

We haven't changed any of the charcoal filters yet, but probably will soon. It tastes like bottled water. We love it!
    I’ve had various undercounter water filters (which eventually had to be replaced when the mfr stopped selling filters — ugh!). Because our municipal water system is pretty good, I’ve gotten middle-range models, with 2 parallel filters, not RO. My family had an undercounter RO system when they were on well water.

In all cases, the taste was definitely really good!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a Big Berkey. Love it. I have the fluoride filters too. Got it over a year ago and haven’t changed the filters yet, though it has slowed down lately and it’s probably time. I refill a couple times a week. I keep it on the counter next to the fridge. It’s on a stand I picked up from Target, which works pretty good and was a lot less than the Berkey brand one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think ours is a big birky. It holds about 2.5 gallons. We kept it on the counter by the sink in our first house and I loved that, because I could fill it with the spray house from the sink. In our last house they was not space, so it say on a small cabinet against a wall, just past the kitchen. Water bottles lived there too. Now we have RO but will probably use the berky either in the basement or garage, which every we end up using more this summer. I never found any deals. I think you can scrub the filters when they start to get slow, before you have to replace them.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just get glass bottled water which is filthy expensive but tastes great. Looking at this thread with interest
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought a Big Berkey last May after wanting one for years. I got the fluoride filters, too, but now am on well water so I don't need those. We LOVE it. The water tastes so, so good, and everyone wants to drink more! The filters can last for several years. You have to scrub them when they slow down on filtering--it's in the instruction booklet. Only buy from a truly authorized Berkey seller--some of those poor reviews on Amazon make me wonder if they got a fake Berkey. The best deal I found was from berkeyfilters.com. I was able to get several accessories at 50% MSRP, so I bought the primer, stainless steel spigot, the stand, and the fluoride filters. I also picked the free gift of 4 stainless steel cups and got a free lifetime warranty on the Berkey.

ETA: My family has become water snobs after getting the Berkey. DS says bottled water tastes disgusting to him now, and he limits the water he drinks at other places now. We fill a huge stainless steel bottle of it for him every day for the school day.
    Last edited by div_0305; 03-19-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jennilynn View Post
    We have a Big Berkey. Love it. I have the fluoride filters too. Got it over a year ago and haven’t changed the filters yet, though it has slowed down lately and it’s probably time. I refill a couple times a week. I keep it on the counter next to the fridge. It’s on a stand I picked up from Target, which works pretty good and was a lot less than the Berkey brand one.

Was the stand marketed as a water cooler stand? I never would have checked Target.

We have a Big Berkey and love! Our tap water is not safe to drink and the Berkey was recommended as able to filter out the toxins. I was so tired of buying water and lugging the 5 gallons in the house. We’ve had it about a year and not had to change the filter. I keep our next to our sink so it’s easy to fill. I keep it on a wrought iron plant stand I bought at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I would recommend getting the outside gauge that shows when the water is getting low.

DD1- 5/2008
    DD2- 3/2012
    Expecting a Boy July 2014!

We got one over a year ago. Love it and can’t stand the taste of water from most places now. It’s on the counter next to the sink. The location is kind of a pain but it’s convenient. Thought about getting a stool for it. Think ours is 3.5 gal. Haven’t changed the filters but have cleaned and primed when they slow down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast