Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Btw, I do understand. Our charter school’s math curriculum just wasn’t going to do it for ds1 to be able to reach the highest level of math without doubling up some year (which I didn’t know about). We had to push for him to accelerate. He’s glad we did because he’s a high achiever and wants to do them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This sounds very similar to my scenario except that they DID offer an accelerated class but didn't put DS1 in it. Glad to know that it was worth it for him to accelerate, though I'm not sure DS1 has the same personality as yours. He does really enjoy challenging classes though.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    This sounds very similar to my scenario except that they DID offer an accelerated class but didn't put DS1 in it. Glad to know that it was worth it for him to accelerate, though I'm not sure DS1 has the same personality as yours. He does really enjoy challenging classes though.
    I remember how frustrating it was when they wouldn’t let him take that class. Don’t take no for an answer now. He can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would also be very frustrated, but do not blame yourself. It sounds like you pushed and were continually reassured one thing so what else could you have done? I'd ask the math teacher why his story has changed and remind him that the exact thing is happening that he promised wouldn't.

Could your son take calculus during the summer after high school?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have online options DS3 is taking geometry online ( through our state virtual school) starting tomorrow. Do you have something like that?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I would look into whether there was a class he could take this summer, and then test in right before the next school year. The accelerated class here covers some topics that aren’t addressed in the regular curriculum, and I would worry he would have trouble with the test otherwise because he wasn’t exposed to some material.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You could give his future high school a call and talk with the secretary. He/she will know who on staff can answer your questions about any math requirements for AP Physics - most likely a guidance counselor, but with all the SoCal budget cuts it may be an assistant-level person or another staff member. If they do have a guidance counselor, you can also ask about summer classes.

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

IF your child really wants to go the Math 2 route, fight it now! THEY CHANGED THE RULES! The district made promises that they are now going back on. Do you have, in writing, ANY of the information about how to get into Math 2? Start with the current teacher. If that does not work, go to the high school principal! Calmly explain what you were originally told (using whatever documentation you have) and ask that your child be allowed to test into Math 2. Demand (very calmly and nicely) that they stick to the original rules (at least for your son). Changing the rules "mid-game" so to speak is not the way to run a program. If this is important to your son, fight it now; they can always change the rules again...

Good luck...

Oh, and try to keep the emotion out of all phone calls, letters, meetings, ect. Stick to the facts! It is SO HARD, but so important!

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    IF your child really wants to go the Math 2 route, fight it now! THEY CHANGED THE RULES! The district made promises that they are now going back on. Do you have, in writing, ANY of the information about how to get into Math 2? Start with the current teacher. If that does not work, go to the high school principal! Calmly explain what you were originally told (using whatever documentation you have) and ask that your child be allowed to test into Math 2. Demand (very calmly and nicely) that they stick to the original rules (at least for your son). Changing the rules "mid-game" so to speak is not the way to run a program. If this is important to your son, fight it now; they can always change the rules again...

Good luck...

Oh, and try to keep the emotion out of all phone calls, letters, meetings, ect. Stick to the facts! It is SO HARD, but so important!
    I agree with all of this - if he's been acing math this year and needs the challenge, that alone is enough, but the college prep and HS track issue is just as big a deal. If he's interested in selective colleges and his HS has a fair number of kids taking Calculus, I have to disagree with PPs and say that it is a somewhat big deal not to take it. Again, it doesn't mean that he won't get in to those colleges if he doesn't take it, but it will be more difficult (especially because of his interest in science). Many kids interested in science/math will have two years of Calc in HS (I was a math major and was unusual in that I only took AB). My DD is even more accelerated in Math (maybe shouldn't have been given how hard PreCalc Honors has been for her as a sophomore) and she could take Calculus BC as a Junior and then take Multivariate as a Senior. She had a tough time with the trig part of this year (although the Calc stuff is going better), but we're still going to have her take Calc AB as a Junior (track is to skip AB if you're in honors) and wait and see about Senior year. My DD goes to a pretty average, diverse public high school (graduating class of 300) and while there are only a handful of kids on her track, there are probably at least 30 kids in the "regular accelerated" track who will all take Calc by senior year.

I say all this to emphasize that if your child isn't currently challenged and has these science/math aspirations, it's worth pursuing the Math 2 placement (or finding an alternative way through an online class to get him back on the track to Calc by senior year)
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jenmcadams View Post
    I agree with all of this - if he's been acing math this year and needs the challenge, that alone is enough, but the college prep and HS track issue is just as big a deal. If he's interested in selective colleges and his HS has a fair number of kids taking Calculus, I have to disagree with PPs and say that it is a somewhat big deal not to take it. Again, it doesn't mean that he won't get in to those colleges if he doesn't take it, but it will be more difficult (especially because of his interest in science). Many kids interested in science/math will have two years of Calc in HS (I was a math major and was unusual in that I only took AB). My DD is even more accelerated in Math (maybe shouldn't have been given how hard PreCalc Honors has been for her as a sophomore) and she could take Calculus BC as a Junior and then take Multivariate as a Senior. She had a tough time with the trig part of this year (although the Calc stuff is going better), but we're still going to have her take Calc AB as a Junior (track is to skip AB if you're in honors) and wait and see about Senior year. My DD goes to a pretty average, diverse public high school (graduating class of 300) and while there are only a handful of kids on her track, there are probably at least 30 kids in the "regular accelerated" track who will all take Calc by senior year.

I say all this to emphasize that if your child isn't currently challenged and has these science/math aspirations, it's worth pursuing the Math 2 placement (or finding an alternative way through an online class to get him back on the track to Calc by senior year)
    I agree. I'd fight it too, or have the school help you find an agreeable way to get him back to that accelerated track.

Our middle school has 3 math tracks. My kids are all on the highest one, which puts them in Calc in 11th grade. My oldest is in 8th and is still not particularly challenged in math, so we are happy they are accelerated at least. I'm sure it'll become more challenging in the next few years.

I think if there is that accelerated track and if he wants to do engineering/science then you should push to see how he can get to that track. Whether that's by taking both math 1 and 2 next year, skipping math 1, taking a summer class, or something else. Make sure the high school is on board with the plan so it doesn't come back again saying it won't work.
    Kris

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Make sure the high school is on board with the plan so it doesn't come back again saying it won't work.
    Get everything in writing!!!! That might even be an e-mail saying "just so I am clear, we agreed to XYZ. Is that correct?" Therefore, if staff, administrators or requirements change, you have documentation!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast