Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Girls legging that last

DD2 wears mostly leggings. Because she is so active, she's constantly wearing out her leggings- the groin area/between the thighs and at the knees. I think I need to go for more premium leggings and not the cheapo ones. Any suggestions? She's also my fast grower, so I'm hesitant to spend a lot. Buuut I've had to throw out a lot of leggings these past few weeks so I think I just need to bite the bullet. She plays softball (sliding pants are required this year) and is always doing cartwheels and just general running around the on the playground. She's very opposite of DD1! Do I spend the $$ for Ivviva leggings? Do they last?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It would be useful to know what you have tried that hasn't worked, and also if there are materials (synthetic vs cotton) that are preferred. Hanna used to be my go-to. I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of Cat and Jack leggings for the price, but my DD is probably not nearly as active.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    It would be useful to know what you have tried that hasn't worked, and also if there are materials (synthetic vs cotton) that are preferred. Hanna used to be my go-to. I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of Cat and Jack leggings for the price, but my DD is probably not nearly as active.
    This. I also have been pleased with the new Cat & Jack leggings. They have a guarantee on the knees, though I've never tried to invoke it. I don't know if it applies to the groin area.

Costco's leggings are nice and thick, but they seem to run short in the leg. And I haven't seen them for a while. Maybe look online?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

If she’s truly active and sliding on the ground on her knees, then no leggings will be durable enough. DS1 ripped through pretty much every pair of pants except for lands end iron knee jeans, which have 2+3 layers of denim at the knee. Anything knit would be ruined immediately. So given the “delicate” nature of leggings, I just don’t see how any type of leggings would be durable enough for a very active child. My DD ripped through some of her pairs of leggings when she was younger and a few pairs of jeans, but it wasn’t a regular occurrence like it was with DS1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Is it worth trying some kind of legwarmer, even a light one, that is either more durable, or more disposable, to give her the comfort of leggings without holey knees? Won't help with the wear and tear in the groin fabric, though.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'll third the Cat & Jack ones at Target. They've held up great at our house.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My 7yo dd wears leggings exclusively and she is rough on stuff. For us, Hanna leggings are workhorse. They last multiple seasons and usually nice enough to resell them afterwards.

gymbo leggings are ok, but some prints tend to fade. Seems like quality is not as good as Hanna, but they are stretchier

We’ve had good luck with Old navy leggings as well.

The WORST for leggings is Walmart. They fall apart and get holes and fade almost instantly. My dd like me is super skinny legged and wears out leggings at the knees - often times the color fades completely there or holes show up). Quality is terrible. The only reason I buy hem is if they had a specific pattern dd wanted (they had emoji leggings and she had to have them).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 03-21-2018 at 01:25 PM.

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is 8 and also wears leggings daily. We've had the best luck Gap leggings specifically the ones called Soft Terry. They are thicker than other leggings.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Except for the pair where DD poked pencils into the crotch while having fits in school, Cat & Jack from Target have held up the best for us. We've had several pairs for two years and my DD is super-active - sliding, roughhousing, running, jumping, mucking about, etc. What I love about them is they have reinforced knees, so I'm less concerned about DD wearing through them before they're outgrown.

I've also been pleased with the leggings from Primary.com, but we only have a few pairs because they are spendy. Fabric weight-wise, they remind me of older Hanna Andersson and have held up fairly well so far.

For softball, definitely get softball pants as leggings will NOT hold up.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

She's worn hand-me-down Hannas. Some have survived and passed on, but some developed holes. Those would have been the darker ones that she wore constantly.

I was pickier with DD1 - I purchased a lot of Hanna for her. Dd2 has mostly gotten hand-me-downs or Grandma has given her a lot of clothes- from Khols. I will try the Cat and Jack ones. We've had success with their other clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    This. I also have been pleased with the new Cat & Jack leggings. They have a guarantee on the knees, though I've never tried to invoke it. I don't know if it applies to the groin area.

Costco's leggings are nice and thick, but they seem to run short in the leg. And I haven't seen them for a while. Maybe look online?
    We used to do Costco leggings but they often come with some print that she doesn't like. But you're right, I haven't seen them in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    If she’s truly active and sliding on the ground on her knees, then no leggings will be durable enough. DS1 ripped through pretty much every pair of pants except for lands end iron knee jeans, which have 2+3 layers of denim at the knee. Anything knit would be ruined immediately. So given the “delicate” nature of leggings, I just don’t see how any type of leggings would be durable enough for a very active child. My DD ripped through some of her pairs of leggings when she was younger and a few pairs of jeans, but it wasn’t a regular occurrence like it was with DS1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't think she's sliding on her knees necessarily, but I think the leggings she's wearing are think and just wear out easily.

Is it worth trying some kind of legwarmer, even a light one, that is either more durable, or more disposable, to give her the comfort of leggings without holey knees? Won't help with the wear and tear in the groin fabric, though.
    I'll look into leg warmers for her. I'll see if its something that interests her. Thanks!
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast