Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Does your school have a weekend food backpack program?

If your school (School and/ or parent group) coordinates the distribution of food to kids in need for the weekend or breaks, can you tell me about the program? I am interested in developing this at our school and considering the logistics. Do you get donations from businesses or organizations? Or do you get donations from the parent community ($/ gift cards, food...)? Our school is a non profit charter school (501c3).
    About 30-40% of our students receive free or reduced lunch. I’m in touch with local schools already to learn from their models. But, I like casting a wider net for ideas to be successful and that’s where you come in. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ours is a district funded program. It is only at certain schools though. However at every school all students get a free breakfast, free lunch, and a free hot supper after school.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have had this in our district (at least for K-6) for the past few years. It is not funded through the district. Local organizations contribute a lot to it (a local retirement home actually contributes quite a bit), as well as the local food bank. Individuals can give donations towards it as well (both monetary and actual non-perishable food items). The school counselors are the ones who run it at each school. In my daughter's school, each child that participates has a name tag that the teacher hands to them at dismissal time on Fridays. The child then takes this to a designated location in the school where the counselor hands them "their" weekend backpack, which the child then returns on Monday. For the classes I sub in, there are usually about 2-4 kids per class that participate.

We have it, but I'm not sure who funds it. I think they put snack-y/ packaged foods in backpacks very discreetly, but I'm not sure who does it, just know that they send fliers home in the kids' folders so parents can contact the school or whatever if they're in need.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our program is run through our school resources liaison. The food is donated mostly from a food bank. Once a month a group of volunteers package the food into plastic shopping bags and store it. The food is mostly snacks, fruit cups, soup, macaroni and cheese, pasta cups. They want the kids to be able to easily make it.

Parents are contacts through the resource person to see if they want to be in the program. It is very discreet.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

The school I work at has a hot supper program. Food is prepared in the school’s cafeteria by school staff, and it must be eaten on school campus. I think it’s district run but other partners are involved too. It’s everyday at end of school.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In our county it is largely donations from area agencies, food pantry, food link (a large distributer of goods to pantries), and donations from an area college student group that helps supply the program.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

These are very helpful! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our community food pantry (which is run by the Lions Club) coordinates with the schools in the area to do this.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast