Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Go to the memorial service or not?

One of my cousins died by suicide over the weekend. I just found out about it last night, and there will be a memorial service for him this Saturday, which will be held across the country from where I live. Normally, I would go and support family. However, a good friend whom I have not seen in 6 years is visiting me this Saturday. She lives on the opposite coast, so this would be the first time I've seen her since I moved. We have been planning this for months.

Should I cancel the visit with my friend and attend my cousin's memorial service? I was not that close to my cousin, nor am I particularly close to the sister he left behind. We are friendly, but we didn't see each other that much growing up - maybe less than a handful of times? My parents and my sister will definitely be attending the service, as is the rest of my extended family. I absolutely adore my friend, but then again, my cousin is family... Would I be a horrible person if I skipped the service due to my friend's visit?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nope! Send lovely, heartfelt card(s) to anyone in his immediate family that you think might appreciate it. Donate whatever you can afford to whatever “in lieu of flowers” charity they support. I’m sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Nope! Send lovely, heartfelt card(s) to anyone in his immediate family that you think might appreciate it. Donate whatever you can afford to whatever “in lieu of flowers” charity they support. I’m sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Totally agree. I had to miss the funeral of an extended family member recently and that’s what I did. Everyone understood.
    ((((Hugs))))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Since it is not close-by (driving distance for the day) and you already have made long-anticipated and not easily rescheduled plans for the day, I would decline. Send a heartfelt card, leave a thoughtful voicemail, etc. and plan to see your sister and parents another visit.
    K

I will say go. Death by suicide is still an isolating event. All those people who would normally show up for a funeral don't. If it had been a car crash, lots of people would show...suicide, they stay away. You're not an awful person if you don't go, but I really think your presence will mean a lot.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Skip. You are far away and you weren’t close. I was just in a similar situation (death of cousin in his 20s but to drugs). I didn’t attend his memorial service and no one in the family expected me to go.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No, you are not a horrible person if you don't go. I think it is okay not to go given the distance, and especially since your parents and sisters are attending. Maybe make a donation in her name (if you think the family would like that)/and or a handwritten message to the family.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You are not close to the family, it's not even graphically close, so even if you were closer, going cross country for a funeral is just not expected, less so when you are not close. Enjoy your time with your friend, it is very sad to lose someone no matter the cause, but you and your friend have had these plans for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with the others. Send a note/flowers/memorial & stay home. My long distance cousins didn't come in when my mom died & I didn't go to my cousin in Oklahoma's funeral. It just wasn't expected.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Go to the memorial service or not?

My extended family never expects people to drop everything and spend lots of money on cross country trips for family events such as weddings and funerals. I think a card and donation are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nfceagles; 04-18-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast