Default Chicago recommendations

I am looking for advice on things to do during a getaway with my husband in Chicago in April. This is a rare treat for us-- we usually travel with our kids-- but the stars have aligned for us to have a few days alone.

We are going to see Hamilton, and we plan to maybe visit a museum or two and go out for a few nice dinners.

Any recommendations? Anything we shouldn't miss? As far as restaurants are concerned, we like healthy & creative over heavy & traditional. We love live music, comedy, museums -- basically we would love to enjoy some of the things that are more challenging to do with kids along.

Please send any ideas!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Book an Architectural Boat tour, they are fantastic and give you a great idea of the history of the city, do it at the beginning of your stay of possible as it gives you wonderful insight as you walk around. Do the one just on the river (not the one that tours Lake Michigan).

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Chicago recommendations

Yes to architecture tour. My fav is the Chicago Architecture Foundation.

So many restaurants, it’s hard to advise. I love all the Goat restaurants. Bar Sienna is amazing. Do you like Asian fusion? Sunda is a fav.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Kindra178; 03-31-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Every time I've gone to Chicago, I alway eat at Quartino. It's Italian food. I just really like the atmosphere. And the food!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Not a specific recommendation, just a reminder that you will still want to dress warmly. April in Chicago will generally not be very warm at all.

thanks everyone! Great ideas.

I now live in Houston, where I am basically dressing for summer now, so yes I will need to pack warmer clothes!

We love Asian fusion. We pretty much like most any ethnic cuisine. Specific recommendations?

We are staying at the Waldorf Astoria, so it would be nice if things were within walking distance although not absolutely essential.
    Last edited by AtlantaMom; 03-31-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added detail

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What about Frontera Grill or one of the other Rick Bayless restaurants? Even his little quick service place Xoco is delicious.

We have done a kid-free getaway to Chicago the last 2 falls.
    My favorite restaurant so far has been Girl and the Goat, but it will be hard to get a reservation at this point - though possible - I have a friend who snagged one a few days before her trip that must have been a cancellation. We went to Frontera Grill last time and didn't have such a great experience, especially for the amount we were spending.
    I agree on one of the Architecture Foundation tours - either boat or walking. Don't get duped by one of the other boat companies that does architecture tours.
    I wouldn't limit restaurants based on things being walking distance. A lot of the stuff right near the hotel is going to be touristy. Lincoln Park and West Loop are a $10 cab ride away and open up a lot of options.
    Don't miss Millennium Park!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have also heard good things about Gejas if you like fondue. Definitely for adults.

Also agree, don't worry about walking, jump in an Uber or lyft if needed.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk