JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Did something wrong with TJ's Falafel mix and TJ's sprouted WW pizza crusts

Not sure if this should go here or in the lounge, but will try here first.

I bought 2 new TJ's products (at least I had not seen them before) and had problems with both of them. They ended up delicious, but has anyone tried either of these and know what I did wrong?

The falafel mix is the one that comes in a box (not the frozen kind). I had to add water (any maybe something else, dont remember), cover, let it sit for a specific amount of time, and then I should have been able to make balls and fry or bake. I followed instructions, but after the prescribed amount of time, the mix was very liquidy and no way could I shape anything. Added some more mix, and let it sit again...still watery. I had to dump some liquid out and add a lot more mix...finally it worked well enough. Not sure what I did wrong. It says to cover loosely when it is sitting and I covered the bowl with a towel--maybe that wasnt good enough? Any ideas?

The sprouted WW pizza crust, I probably didnt do anything wrong exactly. I tend to bake pizza on a very thin baking sheet (its open and not even thick enough for sides), so I did that. The crust never got hard/firm enough and I let it back a long time extra. Now, maybe it would have worked if I took the sheet out and put it directly on the rack, but it was so the crust was so --not solid and thin--with ingredients on top that I don't know if it would have help up between the slots in my oven tray. I didn't have to mix anything for this one, it just came this way. It ended up delicious, but we had to eat it with a fork and it tasted more like lasagne!

thanks for any ideas!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We used the TJs falafel mix for the first time this week and the results were really good. We followed the directions precisely, and even if the batter seems a little runny, they fry up really nicely when dunked into hot oil. You don't want them too dry. Ours weren't watery after they had sat for some time and we used an IKEA ice cream scoop to get even-sized falafels - no shaping required.

We sometimes use the WW TJs pizza dough but put it on a pizza stone to cook. I recommend a pizza stone - available inexpensively at Target (but you need to season them before first use).

for Sandy Hook

Thanks so much, citymama!

With the falafel, I really can't figure out what I did wrong. They were like the consistency of water before I added *a lot* more mix and there was no way they would have maintained shape before then. They were delicious--not dry at all--when I finally added enough mix and let them sit some more time..so, I guess I won't know until I try again. I have been wondering if maybe my measuring cups are off, as I just use some silicone collapsable cups, but other things I make come out okay. One question, if you are reading, what did you covers your with? Thats' the only other thing I can think of..I covered with a towel and, although the instructions say cover loosely, maybe this was too loose?

I think I am talking about a different kind of pizza dough. Its not the kind they have had forever that is in the refrigerated section. This is spouted whole wheat and comes in a package, kind of like Boboli. I actually got rid of my pizza stone because I wasn't really using it, but will think about if I need to get another one.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My pizza stone just lives in my oven. It actually helps maintain and even temps. I’ve had mine in there for more than a decade!
    I haven’t tried the falafel mix yet but I’ll report back as I was looking to try it this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My pizza stone just lives in my oven. It actually helps maintain and even temps. I’ve had mine in there for more than a decade!
    I haven’t tried the falafel mix yet but I’ll report back as I was looking to try it this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, that would be great! I get the pizza thing, but the falafel has me baffled. I bought another box because we loved the final product.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

JustMe - we covered the mixture with a thin kitchen towel (probably an IKEA one). My guess is the water measurement might have been off, maybe? Try again - I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were!

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    JustMe - we covered the mixture with a thin kitchen towel (probably an IKEA one). My guess is the water measurement might have been off, maybe? Try again - I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were!
    Thanks, citymama. Sounds like we covered the mixture similarly. I will try again. They tasted great how I made them too, but doesnt seem right to use way more mix than I should!