Default Quaint Florida Beach with Shells

Anyone have a recommendation on a beach in Florida? Preferably more quiet and shells. I've heard a great deal about Sanibel Island, but any suggestions? We are going to Orlando for a few days and then to the coast. Hoping someone here is local or has been there enough to help me out!

Thank you,
    Jennifer

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sanibel is great for shelling, but as someone used to very quiet beaches, I thought that it was over-priced and crowded. We also got eaten alive by those bugs and I ended up having an allergic reaction to the repellant... so maybe I just have bad memories. The shelling was awesome, we normally vacation at NC beaches, but I don't like being in crowded areas and so I guess I was surprised how touristy it was.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

So, do you have a recommendation on a less crowded beach? Thank you!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by light-castle View Post
    So, do you have a recommendation on a less crowded beach? Thank you!
    Not in Florida, but basically for shelling, Sanibel is REALLY good. We love Emerald Isle, NC for quiet beaches... but the shelling is not as good, because the waters are rougher, so most of the shells are not whole shells, but pieces.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We're looking for something similar and are considering Cayo Costa State Park. It's a camping with no hot water sort of scene though, so maybe it bit more quaint than what you're looking for. We're tossing around doing it after Universal Studios to decompress.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, compared to Orlando, Sanibel will seem quiet. If it's in the off season it won't be as busy as during Feb/March/April.

Maybe Jeanne can suggest some places, she is local to the Gulf area.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Consider Boca Grande. I have not been personally, but have seen many pics from friends.

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just got back from our first trip to Sanibel! We loved it! We were there the week before Easter and I didn't think the beaches were terribly crowded. Plus, it's mostly families and older adults, so the people who are there are pretty quiet. Capitva is more quiet and known for the sunsets.
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

We've done Sanibel in February, so earlier in the season, but the places we stayed (Waterside Inn condos, and Castaway Cottages) are further up the northern side toward Captiva. There's fewer large condo properties and you're away from the shopping/restaurants area, so there's a limit to how many people are likely to be on the beach especially earlier in the day and dinner/evening time. It's not cheap, but there is good shelling just steps away from your room, and great sunset views. We bring in our own food from the mainland and mostly cook in the cottage or condo to avoid the hassle/waits/expense at the island restaurants.