Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default High School sports that pretty much take everyone?

Around here there are few that I know of that pretty much allow anyone interested to compete. For us that includes football, water polo, track, and swimming. Other places might be much more competitive in these sports and I know it depends on a lot of factors! I'm just trying to figure out what to do with DS1 next year. He has to have PE and I'm thinking if he could get exposure to a fun sport that he might stick with for life, all the better. He's not very athletic. Flag football worked really, really well for him last year but I'm not comfortable with regular football for him at this time--too worried about concussions. I know there are a few sports that he has no chance of competing in--soccer, baseball, basketball, etc. but are there any others out there that might admit a fitness challenged student and help build in him some skills that might serve him in the future?

TIA!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Cross country and track?

Where I am, cross country is far and away the most positive sport out there. People cheer for the first guy and the last guy. Lots of competing against your own times, even if the time doesn't qualify for team points. Many kids do the whole 4 years and never qualify for team points but seem to really enjoy being part of the team regardless.

Here there's also tennis and golf for a lower key experience.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ditto cross country. My DH teaches high school and regularly comments that cross country is a really positive experience (he coached soccer).

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

ultimate frisbee
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ultimate frisbee came to my mind too.
    Our school allows anyone to participate. Ds1 just joined the tennis team though he's never played. He had a great time! There was a kid on swim team who never swam before. I **love** that our school is welcoming. There's no exclusion for the kids that haven't been playing club level stuff. Maybe not all these newbies will be starters but they all practice together and have opportunities. Our teams are still able to compete with schools that aren't inclusive.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It really depends on your high school. My DS1 starts hs in the fall, like yours. The high school already had an incoming freshman sports night where we got all the info. They have summer sports clinics for all the sports, and the clinics are essentially the tryouts. Perhaps if few kids show up for a sport, everyone can be on the team, but otherwise it's competitive. My DS1 tried tennis at a day camp 2 summers ago and he loved it. So he's played on the jr. high team for both 7th and 8th grade. He plans to do the HS tennis clinic this summer and hopes to make it on the team.
    Butt his HS also has a badminton team and I highly doubt that's very competitive to get into, only because it's probably less requested.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Forgot to add, my DH keeps trying to convince DS1 to learn golf. DH would be thrilled to teach him, add he keeps reinforcing that it's a great "life skill" sport since there are a lot of business networking opportunities thru golf.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes to Cross Country and Ultimate Frisbee. We've had great experiences with both.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    Forgot to add, my DH keeps trying to convince DS1 to learn golf. DH would be thrilled to teach him, add he keeps reinforcing that it's a great "life skill" sport since there are a lot of business networking opportunities thru golf.

Golf is a great idea! DH really likes it and needs a hobby too...

We don't have ultimate frisbee (though it sounds fun!) but we do have cross country. I wonder if I can convince DS to do it. He hates running but it would be a GREAT skill to acquire. Thanks for the hints!

Is wrestling competitive? I don't think I know anyone who does that with their young kids--it is kind of a high school thing. I'm wondering if DS1 might be ok at that. Of course that really isn't a "life skill" type of sport now that I think about it...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast