Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Agree with rugby if your son really likes contact sport and is resistant to pain. It isn’t anything like football in terms of playing and culture. DS1 saw rugby games in ireland with me and fell in love with the sport, may get into it when he’s bit older.

But ask your son what he likes to do. What sparks his interest, signing up him up for several different one week/2 weeks sport camps may be a good idea. That way playing each sport (3 ) for little bit may help him to determine what to keep his focus on and drop. Why are you nervous about swimming for DS1? Is it the insulin issue? I’m sure he wouldn’t be the only kid who needs it that is on the swim team, and I imagine living in Southern California swimming is probably a very popular sport. Two of my preschool friends grew up in California and went on to swim for the Olympics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There are so many activities in HS, sports and otherwise. He may prefer something else like drama, stage crew, etc. At our school most teams would be hard to get on without any prior experience. Track is the exception. Our school does running and field events. My DS is on the team and competes in track events. It is a great daily workout for anyone, helpful conditioning for other sports, and good be building a habit/hobby for life. I like that in addition to competing, they are always working to improve their own time. It has been great for him in terms of building friendships and keeping busy. He doesn't even complain about the 7am Saturday practice. My younger DS joined the middle school team and he absolutely hated it. It really depends on the kid.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Around here high school sports are pretty competitive I cant think of any that take everyone to try out. Soccer, baseball, track, basketball swimming, golf tennis are all very competitive in the 4 high schools in the county. Most kids have been doing the sports for years or are just really athletic and are good at most things they try. Let him pick something and give it a shot. Not all kids have to do sports in high school
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just want to mention that at least in liberal Chicago, there is no toxic football culture. Numbers are way down and the kids who play generally Love football or want a no cut sport. If I had a kid I was worried about socially or athletically, he would play football.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Just want to mention that at least in liberal Chicago, there is no toxic football culture. Numbers are way down and the kids who play generally Love football or want a no cut sport. If I had a kid I was worried about socially or athletically, he would play football.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Here, especially as a freshman they pretty much take everyone for football. BUT I worry about concussions and injuries so it is out for me. He had SUCH a great time as part of the flag football team this year!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I guess my question is, what does he say he wants to do?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    Not a “traditional” sport but I haven’t seen any mention of MARCHING BAND. It is social and DEFINITELY a workout for MOST, unless you are my kid and find one of the handful of marching band positions that DO NOT MARCH! My son plays clarinet and bass clarinet in band, however, he REALLY wanted to break into percussion. The band instructor placed him in “front ensemble/pit” where he plays “the rack”. It’s great because I know where he is on the field BUT he doesn’t march. He plays cymbals when he marches into the stadium and during parades.

For traditional sports, I am still trying to convince my son that cross country or swim team would be great for him! Or tennis.
    Laughing because Sharyn knows we are all in with marching band. M does fall marching band and did indoor percussion as well. He just got back from championship competition in Ohio. He is a woodwind and marches bass clarinet, but learned the cymbals to do IP. He is really ripped now from IP! He can’t keep weight on during these seasons. He’s always hungry and burns a ton of calories.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

The only sport at our school that will take you if you are committed is cross country. The coach says he will take any kid that is willing to run and put in the work. Otherwise, these kids have been playing for years. Our school wins the division cup every year so sports are serious business.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

it is very interesting to see what sports are "all-comers." In my area, for example, there's no way you could just walk-on to a HS swim team. It's very competitive (and while, yes, you are trying to beat your own times, you're also trying to earn points for your team. If you aren't in the top few of your event, you won't get in the water.) Cross country is the only sport I know of that takes all-comers. There are some that are less competitive, but not that many that you can be sure of not getting cut from.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    it is very interesting to see what sports are "all-comers." In my area, for example, there's no way you could just walk-on to a HS swim team. It's very competitive (and while, yes, you are trying to beat your own times, you're also trying to earn points for your team. If you aren't in the top few of your event, you won't get in the water.) Cross country is the only sport I know of that takes all-comers. There are some that are less competitive, but not that many that you can be sure of not getting cut from.
    According to my sources, the football, track, cross country, wrestling, water polo, swimming, tennis and golf are all pretty much open to anyone. I think it is significant that the high school we are zoned for has large swaths of lower income neighborhoods comprising the majority of the student population. We are REALLY not a competitive school for most sports. That could be why? Kids are quite competitive in basketball, baseball (and softball), and soccer and maybe volleyball and not much else. Right now the plan is to attend a magnet school without a sports program. The magnet school buses to the local school and ONLY the local school for sports so this would be our list if we choose to go to the magnet school.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast