Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Lacrosse is a great sport, my DD just started this spring, she already plays hockey and is a competitive swimmer, but she was recruited after the coach spotted her playing lacrosse with her brother for fun in the park.

It involves lots of running, but I'd say not quite as much as soccer. It's a great game!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    lax is great, but in my town it's pretty competitive though. kids start with clinics as early Kindergarten thru 2nd grade then once you're in 3rd grade it's try outs all the way through HS. so check if it's like that in your area and school.

the sports in my area that kids can get to relatively late are golf, cross running, and maybe swimming depending on which swim team you end up with. Wrestling is also huge in my town, to my surprise. DS1's friend been playing since Kindy and trying to convince DS1 to join wrestling.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

In addition to some mention already, our high school has soccer, lacrosse, and bowling that pretty much anyone can play. Soccer has 3 levels and for 9th grade it's no cut. If you work hard, you can move up to Junior Varsity for 10th grade. But, in 9th you can be a beginner.
    Kris

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't think we have lacrosse. I will check! We didn't have it when I was going to school and I didn't see it on the list. He did a "unit" on field hockey in middle school PE and loved it. Really loved it. That's similar right? I will look into it. I'm sure we don't have ultimate frisbee. I've never heard of that in this area at all--not even at rec level.

I don't think I will be able to convince him to try cross country. I think I'll talk to him about it but I just don't see it. I will check.

I had heard that water polo is no cut. I don't know if he could hack that. He's only a so so swimmer and he can't see AT ALL without his glasses. I'm not sure if there is a fix for that. Oh, and with anything in the pool, I worry that he could have a low blood sugar incident. He has a continuous glucose sensing monitor but darn it all, it doesn't work when it is submerged in water! That means that although swimming would be amazing, I'm not sure *I* can handle the thought of competitive swimming (I really, really don't want to limit him based on diabetes but it seriously makes my heart stop beating to think about so there's that!)

I will call the school about wrestling. It sounds like it depends. I wonder if he could run into any trouble because of his infusion sets/CGMS sets that are actually on his body. Sounds like it could be a liability?

I'm not sure he'll be able to play tennis. It would require probably more coordination than he has but wow, what a great sport! That would definitely be a lifetime event.

I forgot that golf is expensive. Not sure I can find a fix for that... I will ask around...We live super close to THREE golf courses. My town thinks it is fancy but I don't think it really is. I wonder how expensive it could be.

Thank you for helping me think through all these great options!

He mentioned the other day that he wants to play baseball. I hate putting limits on my kids' ambitions but that one I can say with certainly that there absolutely no chance that he will make the team. No experience and very little natural playing ability. Some of these other sports seem like he might be able to play and at least have a good experience. We'll see!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Confirmed. No Lacrosse at his high school. He is actually attending a magnet school without a sports program but must compete with the high school that he is locally zoned for so there is no wiggle room there.

For a lot of reasons, I'm starting to question this magnet school idea. Sigh. The school I've been thinking about for him DOES have a lacrosse team.

Here is an exhaustive list of the sports at the school he is zoned for:

Football, baseball, soccer, tennis, basketball, volleyball, golf, track, cross country, swimming, water polo, and wrestling.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would let him chose the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I had heard that water polo is no cut. I don't know if he could hack that. He's only a so so swimmer and he can't see AT ALL without his glasses. I'm not sure if there is a fix for that. Oh, and with anything in the pool, I worry that he could have a low blood sugar incident. He has a continuous glucose sensing monitor but darn it all, it doesn't work when it is submerged in water! That means that although swimming would be amazing, I'm not sure *I* can handle the thought of competitive swimming (I really, really don't want to limit him based on diabetes but it seriously makes my heart stop beating to think about so there's that!)

He mentioned the other day that he wants to play baseball. I hate putting limits on my kids' ambitions but that one I can say with certainly that there absolutely no chance that he will make the team. No experience and very little natural playing ability. Some of these other sports seem like he might be able to play and at least have a good experience. We'll see!
    My daughter can't see without her glasses either, she wore prescription goggles.

Let him try baseball? Does he have friends who can play with him? I played tball and softball all my life in the corner lot, and never played high school. It's also a life sport, as is volleyball. Seems like a good option.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Cross country, for sure. What about volleyball?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I would let him chose the sport.

If he's interested in baseball, maybe you can get him some private lessons or taking him to a batting cage to start working on his skills.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It’s nice that you want to help him but I think you should consider just sitting back and let him form his own high school path. Sports might not be part of it- and that’s ok. He has PE. He can go for walks after school if he wants more activity. Lots of ways to be involved and social at school. I’d let him sort it out.
    Fwiw though, Zenni is a great place for prescription goggles.

Swimming or cross country. Our local schools have total beginners on swim team. My kids practice right after the JV swim team, and my kids were shocked how much better they are than some of those JV swimmers.

You can get prescription googles on amazon. I have them. Speedo vanquisher, which is their most popular google. If you have different scripts, you can order two and put them together. I just pick what was closest and it really helps. (I’m like -5.00.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast