Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: appliance life

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We replaced two wall ovens two years ago. Two different salesmen, at two different appliance stores, told us the same thing - the higher end you go, the longer the appliance will last. We were looking at kitchen aid ovens in the $2000-2500 range. They each said, independently of one another, that the kitchen aid wall oven would last 5-8 years. We ended up going with Monogram, about $1000 more, to get the estimated 10-12 years.

The sub zero fridge in our old house was going on 18 years and probably had 5 more. We had many repairs on it, but nothing worth replacing it.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    We replaced two wall ovens two years ago. Two different salesmen, at two different appliance stores, told us the same thing - the higher end you go, the longer the appliance will last. We were looking at kitchen aid ovens in the $2000-2500 range. They each said, independently of one another, that the kitchen aid wall oven would last 5-8 years. We ended up going with Monogram, about $1000 more, to get the estimated 10-12 years.

The sub zero fridge in our old house was going on 18 years and probably had 5 more. We had many repairs on it, but nothing worth replacing it.
    Yes. Nowadays you get what you pay for. A water softener built into a DW will increase the life span if you have hard water - similar features/engineering in other appliances are what adds to the cost and the life.

Anyone else worry that posting here is tempting fate to hit you with an appliance repair in the near future?

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I expect appliances to last 7-10 years. Wish it were more! Any more time I get is just a bonus.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

BTW, my fridge came with that “feature”! It drives me nuts. Always have to close the left side first, then the right.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    My washer I got in 2000/2001, same with the chest freezer. The drier we got a few years ago. The dishwasher/stove/fridge were new with the house in 2005. We're keeping our fingers crossed. Generally though (according to our appliance repair guy-an old family friend) the simpler the appliance the longer it lasts. He's a fan of whirlpool/roper appliances and ones without computer chips (ie basic top loading washing machines). He's also taught us how to declog the dishwasher frequently (we have hard water)- stuff builds up in the twirling thing that shoots water and in the front where the air vents are. We also have to keep after the lint in the dryer hose due to how it is routed out of our house. If it wasn't for him I think we would have replaced appliances more often! We are also faithful consumers of lemi shine
    This has been my experience 100%. My wall ovens are BROWN. I don't know the last time brown ovens were made. They have a "vintage" font as well. Super simple and cook my food. My washer/dryer combo has no frills and is over 17 years old. My microwave is also about 17 years old. I bought my fridge used and the only thing that doesn't work is the water. We've had it for 7 years. The only thing new-ish is my dishwasher.

I think this is a really good strategy. I think once you even move up to "midlevel" appliance maybe it pay to get the top of the line. I think most people don't want to live without all the new features and that's completely understandable. But there is something to be said for fixing a washer that has no digital parts (computer programming) versus one that does. I've been wanting to replace my fridge. I'm sure we can be more energy responsible if we do. I"m afraid for the cost and it sounds like it is also possible it won't last as my old one.

Sadly I feel like 7-10 years is standard. We’ve been in our house 11.5 years. We’ve replaced everything except the microwave and the range. We’ve even replaced the dishwasher twice! Fridge is currently the oldest at 8.5 years old. The water dispenser hasn’t been working for a few years (it works but if would leak into the fridge so we just stopped using it), but we didn’t want to pay for that repair. We only had to replace the wall oven (2 years ago) because the door hinge broke off. Other than having to prop the oven closed with a chair while roasting the thanksgiving turkey (yes, it broke when I opened the oven to baste the turkey), it was working fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3