Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: appliance life

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default appliance life

How long do you expect your
    Microwave
    Dishwasher
    Fridge
    Oven

to last?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    How long do you expect your
    Microwave
    Dishwasher
    Fridge
    Oven

to last?
    I haven’t replaced any of our old appliances, except the dishwasher. I strongly think old stuff was built for longer life. I can’t seem to kill them. Our fridge is minimum 16 years old- it came with our first house. Our oven is also at least 15 years old. I’ve had to replace the heating element twice ($20 each). Microwave- going strong too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default appliance life

Microwave- our microwave is a 17 years old....it is a $150 or so Sharp my parents bought me when I moved out in Dec., 2000.

Dishwasher- we have an apartment sized 18” Kenmore Elite.....we have had it 5 years.....I would like it to last another 3-5 years which is when we plan to remodel our kitchen.

Fridge- We have a 25 cuft. side by side Kenmore w/o water and ice and it is 4 years old....I would hope it lasts at least 10 years. We outgrew our old 18” top freezer Frigidaire and donated that to our kids school and it was 10 years old and it is still working.

Oven- our oven is a gas range oven GE Profile that was probably a year or two old when we bought our house in 2005 so it is going on 15 years old. Again would love it to last at least another few years as I don’t want to have to get another range before remodeling as I want a gas cooktop and built in oven. I am not counting on that though. If i will most likely have to buy a new range and I want the small double oven range this time.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-19-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I hope to expect my appliances to last pretty much 10-15 years, if longer then great! Newer stuff isn’t like the older generation stuff where it seem to last decades!!!!

When we bought our current house 10 years ago, except for the dishwasher everything was still original to 1980 at time house was purchased by previous buyers. So that’s hell of long time for those appliances which we’ve since replaced with our kitchen renovation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

so here is the situation -- all appliances purchased in 2012
    - dishwasher needed a repair last year
    - fridge has a broken latch (cannot close one door without closing the other door first) - this year
    - microwave / oven (same screen) screen is on the fritz - this year
    - vent hood won't raise -- last year
    SO annoyed
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

The previous owners of this house did a minor kitchen remodel in 2004 which included new appliances. They left us all the purchase information. The only thing we have repaired or replaced is the refrigerator. It could have been repaired (2012), but I was pregnant, had a freezer full of prepared meals, and zero patience to wait for the repair. I would neither surprised nor heartbroken if our microwave or dishwasher quit. Both work but show wear. In our previous house, we replaced a very old stove/oven and refrigerator just to fit the space better and they were still going strong 6+ years.

I guess I would hope for 10-12 years, but would expect a repair in that time frame.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    so here is the situation -- all appliances purchased in 2012
    - dishwasher needed a repair last year
    - fridge has a broken latch (cannot close one door without closing the other door first) - this year
    - microwave / oven (same screen) screen is on the fritz - this year
    - vent hood won't raise -- last year
    SO annoyed
    For the fridge, that’s something that might annoy me but we’d live with it and not even bother to repair it. It’s not really impacting function (aka keeping food cold if closed properly). How about the microwave and oven? Is the screen issue a must fix or a nice to fix?
    The vent hood, ha- we might even live with that. But I can see fixing that.
    I guess we are cool with accepting things not being perfect so long as they do their necessary job. Come join me on the lazy side!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hmm. We're on our second microwave since we got married almost 19 years ago. There was a freak incident with our old one (small metal shards in a potato I threw in to bake) so it went kaput. I believe our last dishwasher went 7-ish years.

As for fridge & oven, we moved into our house in 2002 and both are still going strong, so, longer than that.

We recently replaced our washing machine & dryer that we bought in 2000.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I want them to last at least 10 years. I think they should last maybe 15 years or so?

For us:
    Refrigerator is from 2000 and I hope it lasts forever because the newer ones are so big they don't fit into the hole!
    Stove was replaced in 2010. No issues so far.
    Microwave is 2009 and has no problems so far.
    Dishwasher is 2006. We have to tear it apart and clean it out every few months. It is not working great. That may be replaced soon.

The original stove, microwave and dishwasher came with the house. The house was built in 1997. So those were likely about 9-12 years old when we replaced them.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    For the fridge, that’s something that might annoy me but we’d live with it and not even bother to repair it. It’s not really impacting function (aka keeping food cold if closed properly). How about the microwave and oven? Is the screen issue a must fix or a nice to fix?
    The vent hood, ha- we might even live with that. But I can see fixing that.
    I guess we are cool with accepting things not being perfect so long as they do their necessary job. Come join me on the lazy side!

HA HA -- Us too ... have not fixed fridge or vent (no plan to). Microwave/oven screen it a new development and so far it works so fingers crossed). The dishwasher we had to fix as it just didn't work.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast