Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default So annoyed....More on the math saga...

This will only make sense if you follow my other posts about the math situation with DS1:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...in-High-School

and:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...e-your-opinion

Regarding that summer class--it starts on June 5 and finished on August 7. So he has about 2 months. Because he has to take a year's worth of math (with apparently no adjustments) he will need to study 8 hours a day to complete it all. Fun summer, eh? Oh and it starts while he is still in school. Although I'm grateful that his school is "letting him" have this opportunity, I'm kind of incensed that the old requirement was to take a 45 minute math proficiency test--placing him in the higher math and that now they are being absolute sticklers about making sure that he has this official coursework. I think there should be some adjustment for the fact that there is a lot of repetition and review from year to year. This is going to be a really tough sell. I'm honestly not sure it will be worth the effort...I'm still feeling that boiling pit of upset about the whole thing.

Why do you think he'll have to study eight hours a day? I assume the class is at least 3 hours. That's way more than a regular math class. I don't know, I really don't think it will be that much daily studying for pre-calc. (Is that what the class is?) It's not realistic that kids would study eight hours for one summer math class. I would double check. But if it really is eight hours a day, I can see why you are rethinking it.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Why do you think he'll have to study eight hours a day? I assume the class is at least 3 hours. That's way more than a regular math class. I don't know, I really don't think it will be that much daily studying for pre-calc. (Is that what the class is?) It's not realistic that kids would study eight hours for one summer math class. I would double check. But if it really is eight hours a day, I can see why you are rethinking it.
    This is lifted from the email I received from the middle school:

"Students are expected to take 1 course, but can do 2 courses if they are highly motivated. One course would be equivalent to about 4 hours a day and taking an additional course would be about 8 hours a day. A student can take Algebra 1A/1B in the summer but he will only have 2 months to complete it.

Hope this information helps, let me know how you want me to move forward."

I asked if it REALLY needed to be 8 hours per day.

I'm mad because what he needs is COMPETENCY not credits. I don't think he needs to do 8 hours a day for the whole summer to be ready for Math 2H.

Is he taking two courses? I'm not trying to be thick, but you wrote "Regarding that summer class--it starts on June 5 and finished on August 7." To me, one "class" equals one "course". So, two courses would be two separate classes (say, Physics 1 and pre-calc).

ETA: Do you know any kids who've taken the same course load? Could you ask his/her parents how much time they actually committed?
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 04-22-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Is he taking two courses? I'm not trying to be thick, but you wrote "Regarding that summer class--it starts on June 5 and finished on August 7." To me, one "class" equals one "course". So, two courses would be two separate classes (say, Physics 1 and pre-calc).

ETA: Do you know any kids who've taken the same course load? Could you ask his/her parents how much time they actually committed?
    I'm sorry! I'm probably not explaining this well. According to the K8 that DS1 attends, the course required to replace "Math 1" is BOTH Algebra 1A and Algebra 1B so two courses. I don't know if the middle school is requiring that he take both or the high school is requiring that he take both. Nobody has ever worked with this program before. It is through what will become a digital high school but will be functioning under the umbrella of the K-8 that DS1 currently attends. The digital high school doesn't officially start until this coming Fall. They are making an exception to provide him with the coursework that he missed by not taking their advanced math class (he didn't take it because they would not admit him.)

Does that make sense? So it is two courses. Nobody has ever taken them before to talk to.

My sister thinks that the middle school is offering this with the hopes that he will reject it, so that they can then say that they offered him a course to fix the problem but that we said no. I'm not sure this is the case. I think it is the high school that is requiring that he take classes before they'll move him up. This is based on a conversation with them that I had a few weeks ago. When I asked the counselor to please place him in Math 2H, that we'll handle the preparedness over the summer he said, "Well, I'm going to place him in Math 1 and when I get word that he has completed the coursework required I"ll move him up to Math 2H".

Hopefully that made sense?

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That teacher is an idiot. Sorry, not helpful, I know. I have no more advice. I'm just so sorry you're having to go through this.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    That teacher is an idiot. Sorry, not helpful, I know. I have no more advice. I'm just so sorry you're having to go through this.
    You mean the counselor I talked to? I feel the same way. I am seriously considering moving schools. The lack of organization at this school has been appalling and I almost feel like the whole math thing has been a blessing to show me what might await us if we attended! DS1 is SOOOOO disorganized and I think he needs more support than he is currently getting. The same counselor I spoke with was woefully misinformed about 504 plans (and he should know about them--part of the job). It also concerns me that they have no school calendar yet for the Fall and that the bell schedule is so complicated that even the school secretary can't figure out what is going on without having a laminated copy of the schedule in her hand at all times.

We're looking anew at all the schooling options in the area.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Algebra 1A is likely the first semester of Algebra. 1B is the 2nd semester. So together, they are 1 full year of algebra. If Math 1 is a full year, then this makes sense that it is a full replacement.

If he does well in math, I would think it would be faster for him than the average. For an online course, he can do it at his own pace to an extent. There may be assignments to finish, but if he grasps it quickly then he will move through them.

A full year of a class in school is about 180 hours, right? Break than down into 8 weeks, and it's about 22.5 hours per week.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Algebra 1A is likely the first semester of Algebra. 1B is the 2nd semester. So together, they are 1 full year of algebra. If Math 1 is a full year, then this makes sense that it is a full replacement.

If he does well in math, I would think it would be faster for him than the average. For an online course, he can do it at his own pace to an extent. There may be assignments to finish, but if he grasps it quickly then he will move through them.

A full year of a class in school is about 180 hours, right? Break than down into 8 weeks, and it's about 22.5 hours per week.
    Hmm. That is more similar to four hours a day than 8. I think it is technically 9 weeks which divides quite easily into 180 hours. What are they trying here?

I feel like 4 is not completely unreasonable to ask a student to do during the summer, though it is a lot at our busy home!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Hmm. That is more similar to four hours a day than 8. I think it is technically 9 weeks which divides quite easily into 180 hours. What are they trying here?

I feel like 4 is not completely unreasonable to ask a student to do during the summer, though it is a lot at our busy home!
    My only thought is that maybe kids usually take summer classes as credit recovery and have to spend more time on it.

Is there a drop period? A few days that he can start the class and then decide with no affects?

Our summer classes are 6 weeks. We looked into DS1 taking 1 this summer to open up some choices over the next couple years. Going on memory, I think they said to expect to spend about 2-3 hours a day on it for a 1 semester class. The class will give a percentage complete along the way and he'd have a pacing schedule so he could know if he was where he was supposed to be or not.
    Kris

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast