Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am not aware of any CA districts that offer summer school for anything other than remediation anymore. There may be some, but I don't know of any that do what my high school did, which was to allow students to get ahead by taking summer school courses. It's really a shame. I was able to clear out time in my schedule for more music and foreign language classes by taking history in the summer. I also was able to get back on track in math (didn't take algebra in 8th) by taking geometry as a summer course.

My children won't have the opportunity to do that. I assume it's because of budget cuts. CA schools are in bad shape.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OK. I was so mad this morning I almost couldn't think straight. Instead of ruminating on this problem, my mom made me (haha) go to Sephora and spend my GC while DD was in preschool. (How vapid does that sound?) But I'm actually really glad I didn't act while I was upset. I now not only have more clarity but I have a Nars blush/bronzer duo that is really fab....(orgasm/laguna) BUT ANYWAY...

So.... for various reasons I'm completely revisiting the question of where he will attend high school next year. I actually do not think he will attend the school he's currently registered for. I learned a lot about that school while I went through this. I'm going to focus on this but I need to do it with a clear head. I need more information and that's what I'm currently doing--gathering information.

I do think we'll go forward with this math class. My mom helped me see the value in this. I do think he's had algebra. The class here is called "Math 3" but they're graphing equations and factoring and solving for x and all that stuff... I think that's algebra? But anyway, I don't see any negative from him having this math class over the summer. I really don't think it will take more than 4 hours a day and I have confirmed that this class will go on his 8th grade transcript and not his high school transcript! So he can "pass" the class and it will allow him to be that much higher regardless of what high school he ends up at.

Thank you for all the perspectives. You guys have had my back since DS1 was kicked out of preschool all those years ago. I suspect this isn't done yet and I'll probably be back with questions but right now I'm thankful for a little bit of clarity and peace of mind.

Glad the retail therapy helped. I’m so frustrated for you. I’m curious as to which high school is giving you issues, RM?
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    OK. I was so mad this morning I almost couldn't think straight. Instead of ruminating on this problem, my mom made me (haha) go to Sephora and spend my GC while DD was in preschool. (How vapid does that sound?) But I'm actually really glad I didn't act while I was upset. I now not only have more clarity but I have a Nars blush/bronzer duo that is really fab....(orgasm/laguna) BUT ANYWAY...

So.... for various reasons I'm completely revisiting the question of where he will attend high school next year. I actually do not think he will attend the school he's currently registered for. I learned a lot about that school while I went through this. I'm going to focus on this but I need to do it with a clear head. I need more information and that's what I'm currently doing--gathering information.

I do think we'll go forward with this math class. My mom helped me see the value in this. I do think he's had algebra. The class here is called "Math 3" but they're graphing equations and factoring and solving for x and all that stuff... I think that's algebra? But anyway, I don't see any negative from him having this math class over the summer. I really don't think it will take more than 4 hours a day and I have confirmed that this class will go on his 8th grade transcript and not his high school transcript! So he can "pass" the class and it will allow him to be that much higher regardless of what high school he ends up at.

Thank you for all the perspectives. You guys have had my back since DS1 was kicked out of preschool all those years ago. I suspect this isn't done yet and I'll probably be back with questions but right now I'm thankful for a little bit of clarity and peace of mind.
    My kids' math program starts graphing equations in year 6 and gets more complex in 7/pre-algebra. Solving for x starts back in earlier elementary. At any rate, that could be pre-algebra. The curriculum's website may be helpful as to what it is roughly equivalent to. Good luck with your decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Glad the retail therapy helped. I’m so frustrated for you. I’m curious as to which high school is giving you issues, RM?
    RC! It is the shiny new magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    My kids' math program starts graphing equations in year 6 and gets more complex in 7/pre-algebra. Solving for x starts back in earlier elementary. At any rate, that could be pre-algebra. The curriculum's website may be helpful as to what it is roughly equivalent to. Good luck with your decisions!
    I'll check it out for sure. I have his math book here and I'll compare it all. I think this can only be a good thing for him!

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Your son and my son sound like kindred spirits, preschool history and all. My DS also is in 8th grade and also has tremendous trouble with organization. His algebra teacher didn't recommend him for "honors" geometry, just regular, but we're moving and the new school district doesn't have honors geometry (as far as I can tell). So whatever.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Algebra here included quadratic equations, polynomials, fractional exponents, negative exponents, solving pairs of linear equations.

DD is in pre-algebra and is graphing equations and inequalities, factoring for a variable, etc.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Algebra here included quadratic equations, polynomials, fractional exponents, negative exponents, solving pairs of linear equations.

DD is in pre-algebra and is graphing equations and inequalities, factoring for a variable, etc.
    I don't think they did quadratic equations or polynomials. We did the other stuff... I think no matter what this summer math class will be good!

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    I am not aware of any CA districts that offer summer school for anything other than remediation anymore. There may be some, but I don't know of any that do what my high school did, which was to allow students to get ahead by taking summer school courses. It's really a shame. I was able to clear out time in my schedule for more music and foreign language classes by taking history in the summer. I also was able to get back on track in math (didn't take algebra in 8th) by taking geometry as a summer course.

My children won't have the opportunity to do that. I assume it's because of budget cuts. CA schools are in bad shape.
    My district is next door to bisous' district. I happened to have a meeting today at our high school regarding Spanish and general scheduling. This thread got me thinking about skipping geometry. DS1 will be taking algebra in 8th next year. Our district has summer school courses that students can use to get ahead and the principal said this could be done for geometry. Students also take summer school to skip a health course. The principal also said that he could take classes online and use those to skip. Some students are even doing online PE!
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast