Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by IansMom View Post
    We have to give a final count and menu selection to the venue by tomorrow. There will be about 30 ladies and the shower is Saturday from 1-3.

My co-host has suggested:
    *Assorted Tea Sandwiches (chicken salad, egg salad, cucumber, pimiento cheese)
    *Fruit tray
    *Tea (hot and cold)
    *Water
    Honestly, this, plus a veggie tray and punch would be 90% of the showers I go to. Possibly adding pickles & nuts. But basically simple food. So, in my area, you'd be fine. The additional food you mentioned later would be nice, but this is probably more standard. But, most showers I go to are in the church fellowship hall, "catered" by members of the church, so...
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    Honestly, this, plus a veggie tray and punch would be 90% of the showers I go to. Possibly adding pickles & nuts. But basically simple food. So, in my area, you'd be fine. The additional food you mentioned later would be nice, but this is probably more standard. But, most showers I go to are in the church fellowship hall, "catered" by members of the church, so...
    Ha! I was about to agree with you and then noticed we live in the same state. But yes, this is absolutely the standard middle-class Southern shower menu.

I agree with the PP who said not to go overboard with food. Women do tend to eat very lightly at these things and while you want to have enough, you don't want to have tons of leftovers (which never get eaten).
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by IansMom View Post
    To me, salad doesn’t go with the theme of finger foods so I will get the veggie tray. I’m not a fan of veggie trays but the mom we are honoring loves them.
    I get that salad isn't a finger food but it's just inexpensive and an option to have. I wouldn't buy a big one. In catering terms, I'd buy one that fed 6-8 people as I have seen catering portions. It just would be an easy add on and I assume that somewhere on the venue's menu, they do offer it or the caterer will work with you. It's not a crazy ask. But, if crudite is the final choice, no one will starve if they don't like/ can't eat anything on the menu during a mid-afternoon reception.

I wouldn’t bother with a salad if catering can’t add it. People can survive without salad options for one day with all the new options you’re adding to tea sandwiches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

The sandwiches do not appeal to me at all (and I like sandwiches). Pimento and cucumber would be big "nopes" from me, and egg salad and chicken salad made in bulk are usually icky and lacking in flavor (imo) But, I'd be all over the caprese skewers. Those, fruit, crudite and cake would be fine by me. It's a baby shower, not a buffet.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Quick—Is this enough food/variety for a baby shower from 1-3?

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    These were all of the showers I went to NorCal (Sacramento area, and Oakland) and all of them were at someone’s home and thrown by a relative or best friend of the parents and bffs daughters. All had the typical tea sandwiches

I have been to seven baby showers (including my own), and two bridal showers thrown in someone’s home here in SoCal and only three of those was semi catered with some of the food coming from Costco (croissant sandwiches) a deli, or Corner Bakery. The rest of the at a home showers and had homemade food, and one was a potluck. The remaining 5 or so I have also been to have all been at a banquet hall, country club, or restaurant and have all been plated meals. I like the at home showers personally with the traditional foods.

For my work baby shower we had Costco pizza and I loved it; more guys attended than girls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-24-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Ha! I was about to agree with you and then noticed we live in the same state. But yes, this is absolutely the standard middle-class Southern shower menu.
    I agree. I am in the South, too. I live in Alabama now, but I grew up in Georgia. I’ve never hosted a shower at a venue before but our honoree has a lot of friends so I chose to host it at the local country club as my house wouldn’t comfortably accommodate so many guests.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3