twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default IKEA - kitchen or bathroom cabinets?

Has anyone used IKEA for kitchen cabinets or bathroom cabinets/vanities? Opinions on quality and how they're holding up (and which kind you got, if you can remember). We're considering IKEA for a small bathroom addition and I like some of their smaller-scaled bathroom vanities with the sink on top, like this, but I will paint the cabinet some fun color:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69020388/

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are looking into using them for our kitchen. The research I have done tends to say that the kitchen cabinets are better quality that the bathroom ones. They do have shallow ones for kitchen bases as well - 15" deep that could work in a bath. I don't know how easy they would be to paint, though - the kitchen ones are melamine - if you buy filler pieces and the "pretty" covers for the ends of the cabinets (and wood doors), they will be finished and hard to paint - you'd likely have to sand first. You'd also have to adapt the cabinet for a sink, as all their kitchen sink cabinets are 24" deep, I think, and are set up for kitchen sinks. I'd think twice unless you are handy and good at hacking.

If you really want the paint, I'd look at the pine cabinet you posted a link to - which is also finished and will take sanding. You may be stuck using one of their sinks - and I'd research on the faucet - I don't think their plumbing stuff is held in high regard - I would avoid anything plumbing part with moving parts from Ikea.

Is there someone locally who could make one? Might be worth pricing out if you know someone handy. Probably still not as cheap, but factor in the time/cost of your labor to sand off a finish you don't want vs starting from scratch.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Following, we are considering the Hemnes vanity for our bathroom. Love the size and look, but concerned about durability.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have them in our kitchen, which we remodeled 4 (5?) years ago. They've held up great! Only issue we've had has been with the Lazy Susan corner cabinet, but I think I just overloaded it with cans.

We used a company out of Wisconsin who makes real wood fronts for Ikea cabinets (they snap right in like the Ikea ones do, but they're real wood) so I can't comment on the fronts but the body of them are sturdy and nice.

When we renovated our kitchen 10 years ago, we used all IKEA cabinets and fronts. They've been great. Still very solid, and look practically new. From what I recall, I think they even have a 25-year warranty.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP, one other thought is to look into RTA (ready to assemble) cabinets from another company. The shipping can be expensive, so I would look for somewhere nearby and figure out how much shipping would be before going this route. Scherr, Barker, Semihandmade - there are a lot out there nowadays. Even Home Depot has some on their website (finished already, though, I think).

This could be another way to get an unfinished cabinet that you could paint.

The Ikea bath cabinet would likely be the cheapest/easiest choice if you like their sink and want to use it. Their stuff is all engineered to play well together.

Are you familiar with Houzz (formerly Gardenweb)? It's like the BBB of home projects....

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/41...ikea-vanities/

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    OP, one other thought is to look into RTA (ready to assemble) cabinets from another company. The shipping can be expensive, so I would look for somewhere nearby and figure out how much shipping would be before going this route. Scherr, Barker, Semihandmade - there are a lot out there nowadays. Even Home Depot has some on their website (finished already, though, I think).

This could be another way to get an unfinished cabinet that you could paint.

The Ikea bath cabinet would likely be the cheapest/easiest choice if you like their sink and want to use it. Their stuff is all engineered to play well together.

Are you familiar with Houzz (formerly Gardenweb)? It's like the BBB of home projects....

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/41...ikea-vanities/
    I am familiar with houzz and try to avoid it because I can get lost in it for HOURS LOLOL. There's a "seconds and surplus" type of store here that sells basic vanity cabinets and basic tops that you can pair together. They have solid wood options (alder or maple) for the cabinets - that might be the way to go, and it would be a little cheaper, maybe by about $100, to do that than to buy a ready-made one. With higher quality since they're solid wood. They come unfinished/paint grade so I can easily paint or stain it later, which would buy me a little time in terms of figuring out my whole vision for the bathroom. But in the end it'll really just be a very basic bathroom - sink, toilet, shower. I'm keeping an eye out on overstock too and Amazon Warehouse Deals too...

I think I've been swayed from going the IKEA route - I do like the way some of their cabinet/sink pairings look but I'm also worried about quality and about compatibility with US plumbing parts.