Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    I have the garlic press but find it a pain to clean. Any tips to make it easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good question. I struggled at first, too. It is easy if I submerge it in a sink full of soapy water and clean it with a washcloth immediately after use. If I wait any longer than 5 minutes, especially if I don't submerge it in water immediately, it becomes a pain to clean.

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have trouble getting the whole clove through a press. Maybe I need a better one? I feel like chopping it is easier than the press.

We have this to remove the peel. Easier than the whack it and peel method, I think (which is how we used to do it).

https://www.surlatable.com/product/P...+Garlic+Peeler

I just clean it with a bottle brush.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jawilli4 View Post
    Good question. I struggled at first, too. It is easy if I submerge it in a sink full of soapy water and clean it with a washcloth immediately after use. If I wait any longer than 5 minutes, especially if I don't submerge it in water immediately, it becomes a pain to clean.
    I have the kuhn one too and often scrape the underside of the holes gently with the flat side of a knife to get off any bigger pieces, then handwash or rinse and throw in the dishwasher.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Garlic questions

I learned the garlic smashing technique from Giada years ago.

I keep my unpeeled garlic in a ceramic garlic keeper on my counter. Every so often a bulky goes bad and I just throw it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I just pull a clove off with my hands. If I'm grating it, I smash it with the heel of my hand rather than a knife because I get too enthusiastic with the knife method sometimes. I use a microplane rather than a garlic press because it's easier to clean.

To get rid of the garlic smell on your hands, wash them with soapy water and a stainless steel spoon. They make fancy stainless "soap" shapes, but a spoon works just as well. (I mean rub the spoon against your skin as if you're washing the spoon and yourself at the same time.) Something in the stainless bonds with the garlic stink? I have heard the science but don't remember exactly.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We use this peeler, super easy:

OXO Good Grips Silicone Garlic Peeler with Stay-Clean Storage Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YTFV4..._iRn4AbQ1MYBW8

I bought a garlic press from Ikea, and it works okay. I use a knife to scrape the garlic that is hanging after pressing off.

Just added the Terra Cotta pot and the Kuhn rikon to dh's gift list
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post

To get rid of the garlic smell on your hands, wash them with soapy water and a stainless steel spoon. They make fancy stainless "soap" shapes, but a spoon works just as well. (I mean rub the spoon against your skin as if you're washing the spoon and yourself at the same time.) Something in the stainless bonds with the garlic stink? I have heard the science but don't remember exactly.
    Wow--this is the first I've heard this tip!! We use so much fresh garlic, and garlic scapes when available locally (I buy US grown garlic in bulk and store in the fridge so it doesn't sprout stems). Thank you!

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I usually stick a dull knife in the side of the bulb and wedge it apart to get the first clove. Then you can separate the remaining cloves by hand as needed after the first clove is removed. I refrigerate the rest of the bulb in a plastic baggie unsealed.

Hint for peeling: I usually use the same dull knife to crush the bulb lightly by laying the knife flat across the bulb and push down on it. That loosens the skin which you can then pull off easily.
    This is what I do as well; only I use the sharp part of the knife to wedge the cloves apart. Actually, I don't refrigerate mine---am I supposed to?
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

I have a mini cuisinaart chopper/nut grinder that I use to chop all of my garlic--I hate garlic presses!! I refrigerate my garlic bulbs. Doesn't hurt them.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2